Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,139   Online: 1070

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In normal activities, I'm big on empirical data. In photography, I get away from that.

I don' t have a densitometer or do comparisons. I don't make plots or test charts. I've got film that I like and that works for me, and I think it will be useful and more expensive in the event of supply problems. I take film out of the freezer as needed and use it for making photos that I mostly enjoy.

I haven't seen the news that John Sexton is stockpiling it, but if he is, that's very telling. He's likely the last person to worry about the cost as he's effectively PR for Kodak and I imagine Kodak takes care of him. If he's stockpiling it, it's because he likes it and fears changes from Kodak's uncertain future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Are you going to answer questions straight out or continue going around in circles?
    Are you really that lost my brother?
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    andre

i don't think he is lost, at all.
    he just wants "data" when it probably doesn't exist.
    especially when all the manufacturers have drilled into people's heads
    to only shoot fresh film, buy fresh film &c.

the funnything is that you could have some great film
    but not all the film will be great even from the same purchase,
    some may end up being crap and youwon't know until you spend your energy exposing it
    and then processing it.

the great film hoard reminds me of the tulip frenzy of the 1600s

if it makes you happy, that is all that counts !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Andre, you don't need to question me: the spotlight is on you and what you are saying. The question posed to you was easy enough: are you going to show us the results of the film you ferreted away in 1979-81 or so, or have you not been around that long?

Please only corroborate your statements with evidence for the benefit of the wider audience here. I have asked that, you have not provided. Nothing sinister about that, only drilling for facts in a welter of flash wordiness. I have done this thousands of times before in analysis to sift fact from fiction.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Andre, you don't need to question me: the spotlight is on you and what you are saying.... Please only corroborate your statements with evidence for the benefit of the wider audience here. I have asked that, you have not provided. Nothing sinister about that, only drilling for facts in a welter of flash wordiness. I have done this thousands of times before in analysis to sift fact from fiction.
    Dude, I am going to bring my New England frankness to the table and say that you sound like you're a few cans short of a six pack. I wouldn't want you beside me in a fox hole. i hope you have a super high IQ - higher than mine (140) - because you'll need the extra processing power to make up for your lack of intuition and imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    if it makes you happy, that is all that counts !
    Actually, I'm not happy at all about it. Financially I was not in a great position to take on more debt- despite my BH address, I am squarely a middle class renter. I took credit-union loans and stockpiled out of passion for the film medium. I did it with great reservation. But it's the ONLY thing to do right now. I did not stockpile high ISO films. I just need to add some 35mm color and 8x10 TXP and I'll be set.

Film photography for me is about the manipulation of time. Stretching time and events out, delaying events, appreciating events when one is emotionally and spiritually ready to assimilate them. Afterall, time is an illusion.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dude, I am going to bring my New England frankness to the table and say that you sound like you're a few cans short of a six pack. I wouldn't want you beside me in a fox hole. i hope you have a super high IQ - higher than mine (140) - because you'll need the extra processing power to make up for your lack of intuition and imagination.

Actually, I'm not happy at all about it. Financially I was not in a great position to take on more debt- despite my BH address, I am squarely a middle class renter. I took credit-union loans and stockpiled out of passion for the film medium. I did it with great reservation. But it's the ONLY thing to do right now. I did not stockpile high ISO films. I just need to add some 35mm color and 8x10 TXP and I'll be set.

Film photography for me is about the manipulation of time. Stretching time and events out, delaying events, appreciating events when one is emotionally and spiritually ready to assimilate them. Afterall, time is an illusion.
    hey andre

i don't think it has anything to do with intuition or imagination.
    it is a GAMBLE that the film you buy today will still be good 10, 15 or 30years down the road.
    you used 20 years and georg16nik said 30 years ...

more people are interested in a sure thing ( tested methods &c ) not "feelings"
    and earlier in this thread you said you "felt" long stored film would still be good.
    i can understand where PDJ stands. he wants to see your tests and results from your dry run.
    i know i wouldn't invest much money in a film hoarding dream / feeling.
    storing film is more in the film investment ... its equipment and energy ... ( &c. )
    people might think you are a sandwich short of a picnic for investing a ton of money in
    something that is unproven and untested, just a "feeling" ( i'm from new england as well )

good idea or bad, it really doesn't matter much ...
    i hope you can burn through all your film before the color is impossible to process
    (unless you plan on using drug store products like hair dye ) ...
    AND your b/w is 1/4 its original speed with fog thicker than pea soup!
    you might consider getting a jump on it by learning how to process your film in ansco 130.
    i know, people think it is a print developer ... it might take a little tweaking but it will help with 30 year fog.
    i've processed shelf stored 20 year old film in it with very little almost NO fog ...
    some people suggest freezing GLYCIN works, i'd work on that too ... cause some say it loses life ... ( always naysayers ! )
    personally, i would process it all in coffee with a teaspoon of ansco 130 in it
    it will process better than conventional developers and coffee will still be around ( you will already be hoarding ansco 130 )
    if you can't find the coffee, ask me in 30 years i have about 65lbs in my garage i will be happy to sell you some of it on ebay

if you need info/proof about the developers, let me know,
    i have 12 years of ansco130 film and about 7 years of coffee-film
    all with non frozen, shelf stored expired film
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-14-2012 at 08:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    jnanian, most of the film available on today's market is cut from frozen master rolls.
    You guys act like the film You buy new today, with exp date 2015 was made yesterday
    Average Joe's ISO 100 films keep well.
    Films like Agfa microfilms (PET base) never had expiry date, it was well known in the 80's that those film can hold at least 20 years at reasonable room conditions.
    Adox CMS 20 (made by AGFA) does not have an expiry date on the box.
    Anybody cared to ask Adox or AGFA about evidence?
    The interested parties could read the appropriate ISO standards http://www.iso.org/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Don't see the big deal. Try out the different films, decide which you like and stock pile as much as you are comfortable with. Then as you use the film replenish as needed. If you find you aren't using the film in a reasonable amount of time sell off any excess. If they stop manufacturing the film then you will probably be more carefully about what you shoot with it.

Just spent a grand on sheet film, 5x7, WP, and 8x10 and I can tell you that's not much film. So 5-10 grand doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Didn't Michael Smith have a walk-in freezer installed to store film and paper in? He might be someone to talk to about long term storage of film.

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Guys,

I think this thread needs to end. You're all coming from different assumptions about and requirements for why one might stockpile film and talking straight past each other. It's pointless and just makes the lot of you angry. If the OP wants to stockpile, that's his prerogative and the merits of doing so are pretty irrelevant; I think they could be considered thoroughly warned as to the risks of keeping film by now.

Go forth and rotate your stocks (whether they be 10 years or 10 days worth) through your cameras please before someone has a stroke.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    If the OP wants to stockpile, that's his prerogative and the merits of doing so are pretty irrelevant.
    How true.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin