Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,684   Online: 1122

Images

Pyrocat + Tube development = Streaks?

I have been prone to processing errors for quite some time and due to the cost of these errors adding up I stopped LF BW photography all together until I found the source of my problem. This means a lot of reading. Recently I had an e-mail conversation with a getleman who suggested the issue could be my choice of developer and developing process.

I use Efke PL100 in homemade BTZS tubes and Pyrocat HD. He suggested this was a bad combination.

I thought I would ask here to see if anyone else has had this issue?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of thoughts. I have used this combo and known other who have used it. It's beautiful, a match made in heaven I believe.

Two issues come to mind. Efke was known for coating issues. I have seen them and they have been widely reported here and at the LF forum. Could it be that you are seeing a coating issue?

Or perhaps it is a processing issue? This oftentimes happens at the beginning of development, especially when adding the developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe even Sandy King, the person who invented the Pyrocat developers, used the very same technique. Not sure what film he used, but that particular combination of BTZS tubes and Pyrocat has been used by many large format photographers.

Are you getting the developer evenly distributed across the film, and quickly enough when you start spinning the tubes in the water bath? Do you agitate vigorously in the stop bath period? Is the fixer applied uniformly and quickly enough on the entire film? Lots of questionmarks that don't have much to do with your actual materials, but rather the technique used.

Do you have the same problem when using film other than Efke?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Images
    I am pretty sure it was not a coating issue. If it were the anomalies would be the same. They are different.

Maybe it is a distribution of the developer issue though I am following the instructions. 8oz of developer in the cap and shake the helll out of it for 10 seconds.

I am going to purchase the actual black tubes from the view camera store as my homemade ones develped a small light leak as the paint wore off from bumping into each other in the water bath. Light leaks are easy to find and not the anomalies I have been getting.

Wish I could afford a Jobo and Master tank.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Wish I could afford a Jobo and Master tank.
    I get really great results using an old Unicolor rotary base and Unicolor or Chromega drums. Will cost you only pennies, and uneven development is not a problem. My 5x7 negs are as even as can be using the same, and I never find myself wanting anything better.

Have you tried film other than Efke?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will pre-wetting the film help with streaks?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Images
    Thomas.

My 8x10 negs never came out right with the unicolor drum. I think it was the slow addition of the developer. Hit and miss with 5x7. Plus the damn things leak. Even got a "new" gasket and they leaked. I never had a motor base for them just rolled them between 2 2x4s

I always pre-wet the film. People say you don't have to but it was the way I was taught.

As for other film I have used several, some of which are no longer around. I love Delta 100 and Efke. Delta because it is plain beautiful but it does not expand as far Efke. I like the look of efke as well and it expands very well. Plus, it is not as expensive as delta and comes in 5x7 too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a Chromega drum, then. They don't leak.

I use 400ml liquid in the drum, and I have not had a single unevenly developed negative. The motor base rotation is pretty slow, and it reverses every one and a half turn.

I've used Efke PL50, Foma 400, Ilford FP4+, Ilford HP5+, Ilford Delta 100, and Kodak TXP. Developers have been Kodak Xtol, Ansco 130 print developer, and HC-110. 4x5 and 5x7 format. No 8x10.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Thomas.

My 8x10 negs never came out right with the unicolor drum. I think it was the slow addition of the developer. Hit and miss with 5x7. Plus the damn things leak. Even got a "new" gasket and they leaked. I never had a motor base for them just rolled them between 2 2x4s

I always pre-wet the film. People say you don't have to but it was the way I was taught.

As for other film I have used several, some of which are no longer around. I love Delta 100 and Efke. Delta because it is plain beautiful but it does not expand as far Efke. I like the look of efke as well and it expands very well. Plus, it is not as expensive as delta and comes in 5x7 too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin