Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,699   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

sodium sulfite - metol only film developer

Hi, if I wanted to make a film developer with 1g metol per litre, how much is enough sod. Sulfite to maintain a borax like ph level ie to keep development going?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by el wacho View Post
    Hi, if I wanted to make a film developer with 1g metol per litre, how much is enough sod. Sulfite to maintain a borax like ph level ie to keep development going?
    Why would you want to do that?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can make D-23. No amount of sulfite will match a borax-like pH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    D-23 is often used at a 1+3 dilution - a bit less than 2 g/l of metol. You could go with 15g of sulfite, but I would suggest (for no really scientific reason) sticking with about 25 g.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would suggest the Beutler formula. The working solution contains 1 g of Metol, 5 g of sodium sulfite, and 5 g of anhydrous sodium carbonate per liter. Only 1 g of Metol may not develop the film completely at the low pH created using sodium sulfite alone as the activator. Remember that Metol is an acidic salt.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thanks everybody for your responses. my intent was to get a little finer grain than beutler's. the 1g metol stipulation was just a bench mark. after reading your responses and thinking about it a bit i see that if i want to keep it at 1g/L i'll need the borax or experiment with dilutions of D23. are there any other alternatives to borax (within that ph range) that are unbuffered? thanks again.

Shooter
    35mm
    are there any other alternatives to borax (within that ph range) that are unbuffered?
    buffer capacity of solution depended from borax (or other alkali) concentration. i.e. 1g/l borax is less buffered than 10g/l borax.
    you can try baking soda NaHCO3 which give pH~=8.1, or mix it with Sodium Carbonate Na2CO3 for giving any pH in range 8..10.5, depended from proportion NaHCO3 and Na2CO3
    some other alkali with pH range
    Sodium Citrate - 8.5
    Na2HPO4 - 9
    TEA - 9.6

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    thanks Relayer.

Shooter
    35mm
    the following is said to be the old formula for Perceptol but I have no concrete proof of this.

Sodium Tripolyphosphate 3.5 gms # buffer not required with pure water.
    Metol 5.0 gms
    Sodium Sulphite anhyd.100.0 gms
    Sodium Chloride 30.0 gms
    water to 1 Litre

use as stock, 1+1, 1+2 or 1+3.

At 1+2 you would have 600ml of working strength using 1gm of metol.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    found this which is relevant. d23 at 1:7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin