Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,782   Online: 814

Shooter
    35mm

Adox CMS II 20 High Resolution Film

Does anyone have experience with Adox CMS II 20 High Resolution Film?That and its corresponding adox developer. Right now freestyle has it out of stock till the middle of december so im looking to make it a xmas to myself. Sounds really interesting.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I tried out 5 rolls of 120 with the Adotec CMS 2.
    I rated it at 15asa and my exposures seem pretty good, maybe a bit thin but I was shooting 2-3 min. exposures on some of it so reciprocity was definitely there.
    I like the tones, pretty smooth.
    I like the grain, or lack of grain really.
    It's very curly and thin so has to be handled carefully.
    Even using distilled water in the Adotec 2 rolls (developed seperatly) had quite a few pinholes.
    I really want to love this film but the pinholes make it unlikely that I'll try it again.
    I've shot lots of the 25Art in 5"X7" and find it to be beautiful, maybe think about a roll of that?

Shooter
    35mm
    Try a search. You'll find plenty of info and opinions

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've tried it. I think it's all right but, in my opinion, it can be really finicky stuff.

You have to expose it just right. (Usually slower than advertised speed.) You have to develop it just right, using the agitation guidelines they specify and you have to use their developer.

If you're willing to do all those things, just as specified, and you are willing to experiment with it to learn how it behaves, you can get some really nice results from it.

If you just want to shoot, soup and print without spending a whole lot of time to figure it out, you're likely to get just "ho-hum" results at best.

I would use it again but only if and when I had time to spend working with it in order to get it just right. Unfortunately, I don't often have that much time and inclination.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    Search for cms20 mamiya 7 vs iq180 getdpi

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As said above a lot has been posted in general about high-resolution films here at Apug.

If you would like to read something by someone else, here is an article on a different (meanwhile gone) film but still out of the same class:

http://web.archive.org/web/200606181..._2004_Film.pdf

(loading will take some time)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Adox CMS is a reproduction film (Agfa High definition pan). It is thought to give high contrasty negatives, only black and white. It is difficult to get greytones from it. If you use the SPUR developer this is possible and works quite well. But the film needs enough light and has the tendency to block up the highlights.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    As said above a lot has been posted in general about high-resolution films here at Apug.

If you would like to read something by someone else, here is an article on a different (meanwhile gone) film but still out of the same class:

http://web.archive.org/web/200606181..._2004_Film.pdf

(loading will take some time)
    AgX, the pdf You linked is about Agfa copex rapid panchromatic ISO40 film which is still available and gives excellent results.
    CMS 20 (I or II) lead in resolution, IMHO the most impressive film in that department. CMS 20 is more like orthochromatic type.

Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    Even using distilled water in the Adotec 2 rolls (developed seperatly) had quite a few pinholes.
    I really want to love this film but the pinholes make it unlikely that I'll try it again...
    Distilled water is a must if You are serious about Your darkroom work and Your spirals, tanks need to be CLEAN, You must clean them every now and then with cleansing solutions., otherwise EVERY high res film will show You the spots, or to say it the other way.. how dirty or spirals and tanks are.
    Trust me on this, I have shot much more than 5 rolls of CMS 20 in 135 and 120, same for Agfa copex rapid.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    georg16nik,

I meant, in that film-developer combo, and that tradename.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    georg16nik,

I meant, in that film-developer combo, and that tradename.
    I got You Agx. Somehow in the recent decade, the Agfa's karma with trade names regarding their products is way out of range.
    Too much stuff made by Agfa sell under various names, way more than I am ready to remember
    Good thing is that with testing those films You get to realize what lies behind the name on the box..

btw: the pdf report You linked is quite funny. full of high school style assumptions lol

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin