Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,918   Posts: 1,556,419   Online: 1167

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fixer Failure - Any Ideas Why??

I had a bit of a problem with my fixer the other day.

I have been using Arista Premium Odorless Fixer, both dry packs that I mix, and Liquid. Nothing special about it but it has been pretty reliable so I have seen no particular reason to change.

A week ago I mixed up another one gallon batch from a package of dry fixer following the directions as usual. However, this time something had to have been different somewhere.

All the films I have developed with this batch have been under-fixed, coming out of the wash with a milky grey appearance. I have since re-fixed them using some other fixer I have so the film is fine.

My question has to do with this fresh batch of fixer. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to troubleshoot what happened. I have done this numerous time before this with no problem until now.

Any brilliant ideas??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How old was the bag of dry fix? How much time do you give the film in the fix? Were you using the same film as you used that worked in this fix before?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    How old was the bag of dry fix? How much time do you give the film in the fix? Were you using the same film as you used that worked in this fix before?
    Not certain of age since there are no expiration dates on the package. I purchased three bags of this about a month ago, one of the reasons I am asking since I have plenty more to use up.

I have always had good success fixing at 5 minutes but I went all the way to 12 minutes to test it with no visible change.

Yes. I have used this fixer with several different films but in this case I was developing and fixing Arista Premium 400 (Tri-X under any other guise.)

I am going to dump this out into a large bowl tomorrow to see if the mix has somehow precipitated out of solution (not sure why it would but it won't hurt to check.)

Another difference I have noted. I typically use my developer as one shot and dump the used developer into a bowl in the sink. I also use my fixer as on shot and dump the used fixer into the same bowl. Some of my films (Arista Premium is one) have a color dye that turns the water green, blue or purple. Dumping the fixer usually changes the color or even clears it. But this last couple times I noticed that when I dump the fixer into the bowl it turns the solution a muddy brown color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use Arista EDU Ultra. I prewet before developing to get rid of the blue dye since I'm using the older emulsion. Do you?

I have basically defected from all fixers that are not TF-4 and all developers that are not Rodinal or HC-110, so I don't know how to give any more advice as to what it could be.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sent an e-mail to Freestyle so we'll see what they come up with.

I use a LOT of Arista EDU Ultra, mostly 400 but quite a bit of 100 as well. You certainly cannot beat the price. I usually don't bother pre-wetting anymore. I did some back to back tests a little over a year ago with some Arista EDU 400 and could see absolutely no difference in the negatives between pre-wetting and no pre-wetting.

I also use a lot of Rodinal, some Arista Premium and, more recently, HC-110. My favorite is certainly Rodinal but I do like the HC 110 as well. Based on my small amount of use to this point it looks like HC110 and Rodinal are a lot alike.

I have been looking at the Legacy Pro ECO Pro fixer and I may start using that as it seems to be a little more environmentally friendly.

Why have you decided on TF-4 fixers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It has always worked for me. It is NOT a hardening fixer, though, so you have to keep in mind that any negatives with very soft emulsion, like Efke, should be handled with more care. I've used it with HP5/FP4 and Foma 100/400 with no issues, though, and I just like it. The stock lasts quite a while in cool, but not cold, storage conditions as well. I mixed up from stock that's 3 years old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds as though the fixer might be bad, not the film. I dont have experience with AristaPremium fixer, but regularly use Formulary TF-4, which I love, and Eco-Pro fixer. I used to use TF-4 exclusivly with film and Eco with paper for odor reasons, but I am switching to just the Eco-Pro for everything. I like it because it works well with Pyro developers plus no odor for paper fixing in trays. TF-4 has a slight amonia smell that is ok to deal with in a daylight tank, but I find offensive used for extended periods in trays. Both are rapid acting and require short wash times.
    If you need to harden emulsions, switch to a Pyro developer such as Pyrocat-HD or similar.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should start with the basics, is there any chance you over-diluted the mixture? Did you fix for enough time for that fixer?
    What procedures are you using otherwise, for example are you using a stop bath, either water or acid? How much agitation in the stop and fixer?
    How about temperature of the fix? Colder than 68?

If you're good on those, try mixing a batch using distilled and test that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any factory produced item will occasionally not be to spec. It could be something as simple as one of the hopper containing the chemicals in the factory was extremely low and a few mis-mixed packets missed the QA system. Happens occasionally in the best run factories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    how about doing a clip test with unused freshly mixed fix.
    time the amount of time it takes to CLEAR a clip of film
    and double that time for your full film fix time.
    use 2 baths, and split the fix time between 2 baths ..

i only use sprint fixer, never had trouble with it, and it is liquid stock
    and easy to mix ... lasts forever and fixes fast ...
    ( and if you can't buy it locally, it can be purchased off their website )

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin