Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,282   Online: 1132

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been using HC110 for years and its basicly all I use. Its probably one best developers available I used it with tri-x, 35, 120,and 4-5 using B dilution.Also I used it with Agfa 100 with excellent results. I mix a stock solution from concentrate because if you make a mistake with the consentrate, even a slite amount it can be to much. My dev. time at 68deg. are 51/2 min. with 35mm.tri-x,51/2 with 4x5 tri-x and 61/2 with 120 tri.Once you get use to working with this dev. you"ll find it one of the best to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Although I use Rodinal for Acros I use HC-110 for a lot of other stuff (ISO 400 films) and I like it, but it is really active...5.5 min. sounds ok.

Morten

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Depends on how you use your flashes. Do you do a lot of bounce or is it direct straight on stuff. I would probably go with the normal dilution so you don't get muddy highlights. You might want to under-develop just a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    Eric: I just remembered I have a small package of Photographer's Formulary's TD-16 (D-76 substitute) in a closet in my house that makes 1 liter. I just mixed it and put it in two 500 ml bottles. Since flash units highten the intensity of bright highlights (white clothing, light dog fur, etc.), based on your experience should I use the TD-16 straight or dilute it 1:1 to tone that down? Thanks!

Terry
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Last night I developed the Acros 100 at ISO 100 in TD-16 (Photographer's Formulary's substitute for D-76) at 1:1 dilution for 7 minutes at 75 degrees (based on the Ilford temperature conversion chart at their Web site from 10 minutes at 68 degrees) and discovered that the negatives somewhat lack sufficient tonal contrast. Thus, I'll process another roll with the same factors and perhaps increase the time from 7 minutes to 9 or 10. Two weeks ago I processed Acros 100 at EI 80 in Microdol-X 1:3 for 20 minutes and got wonderful negatives. And the Microdol-X negatives have a tonality character and acutance that the TD-16/D-76 negatives lack. Perhaps this reflects Geoffrey Crawley's following statement in "The Film Developing Cookbook": "Geoffrey believes that D-76 does not fully exploit either the inherent sharpness or speed of modern films, nor does he feel it offers high enough definition to take advantage of the enhanced image quality available with today's lenses. And Kodak's XTOL can be seen as a radical update of the D-76 developer type." Anyway, the Metz 45CL-4 flash with my Leica 28mm lens performed flawlessly on every negative. This is the most wonderful of the three Metz flashes I currently have! BTW, if I am wrong in assuming that increasing the developing time by 2-3 minutes will create more tonal contrast, do correct me, please.

Terry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

HC-110

I used HC-100 for many many years. That was the recommendation of Fred Picker and Ansel and many others. What no one tells you is that Kodak has changed the formula several times since then. I have found XTOL to be superior in every way. HC-110 tends to block the shadows where XTOL will not. If you think that HP-5 is good in HC-110 you should try it in XTOL. Plus the fact that you get true speed rating with XTOL.
    Reards Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Although I use Rodinal for Acros I use HC-110 for a lot of other stuff (ISO 400 films) and I like it, but it is really active...5.5 min. sounds ok.

Morten
    I"m glad you mentioned that hc-110 was really active because the first time I tryed it my negs came out very dark almost black. My agitation at that time was more aggresive, so I did"nt use it for along time after that thinking it was to harsh. I tryed it again some time latter, but used very gentle agitation and was more able to control the results

I use HC-110 for stand developing efke-100 5x7 and Ilford HP-5 120. I use 3ml per sheet or 120 roll and stand develope for 90 minutes, I contact print the 5x7 and enlarge the 120. I am more than pleased with this combo. It works great for me.
    if it aint broke don't fix it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    HC-110 can be tricky. I've developed mostlyFP4 12ml per 2 roll steel tank 7.5 minutes runs about N+1 density. I found the dilution to be the best for my work, it draws out the tones nicely and is active enough to really give punch on the grey days. I agree that it isn't that great for the flash, a metol based developer would be ideal. For the flash shots keep the time you mentioned but do not agitate that much, say 5 seconds per minute or two inversions in 5 seconds. OR I would dilute about 12ml per 500ml, run the film for 10 minutes with 2 inversion in 5 seconds per minute. Agitation can really effect the density. When you get it right nothin can beat it IMO.

Chris
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using HC110 B for about a year now. It's economical as hell, easy to mix, keeps well, and has worked great with Ilford Delta films, APX 100, HP5+, Panatomic -X (yeah I had some ancient rolls that I finally used up!), and others. It has become my all-purpose developer. A friend that has been using it for many, many, years, told me: All you need (fro developers) in your darkroom is HC-110, Dektol, and Rodinal. Anything else is playing around... he left out Technidol and D-19... but what the hell. Those are special-purpose developers.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfobrien
    I have been using HC110 B for about a year now. It's economical as hell, easy to mix, keeps well, and has worked great with Ilford Delta films, APX 100, HP5+, Panatomic -X (yeah I had some ancient rolls that I finally used up!), and others. It has become my all-purpose developer. A friend that has been using it for many, many, years, told me: All you need (fro developers) in your darkroom is HC-110, Dektol, and Rodinal. Anything else is playing around... he left out Technidol and D-19... but what the hell. Those are special-purpose developers.
    In fact, you can leave out the Dektol if you don't mind adding some washing soda to the HC110. I add vitamin C to it as well. With that combination, forget Rodinal.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin