Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,689   Online: 719

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

HC-110 developer: your success with it?

I bought a new Metz 45CL-4 flash unit and, after attaching it to my Leica M6 TTL upon loading a roll of Acros 100, I have begun testing it indoors. I'm not done with the roll yet. Before I process the roll of Acros, I find that I'm down to only a bottle of Kodak's HC-110 which I've not tried yet, but I found a developing recommendation of dilution B for 5.5 minutes on the Web. Would you please share your positive and negative experiences with this developer and the films you shoot? Thanks!

Terry

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    HC110 is mostly used with TRI-X films. Most of my success is with 4x5, 1/61 dilution from the bottle (Dil B is 1/31 from the bottle) with 10 sec agitation every minute at 68F. It produces medium to fine grain and good tone gradation.

To the best of my knowledge, Bruce Barnbaum uses it exclusively.

I have never tried it with slower films.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use it with both TMY and HP5. Normally dilution B, but occasionally dilution. Have been very pleased with the resulting sharpness and tonality.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The only dev's I use are HC110 dil B and PyroCat-HD. For the flash pics tho you might find the HC110 a bit to active. D-76 would be a better choice IMHO.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    Good Afternoon, Terry,

I haven't used the Acros/HC-110 combination, but I've use a lot of HC-110, mostly the B dilution, for Plus-X, Tri-X, and, prior to the arrival of T-Max developer, both T-Max films. HC-110 seems to work well with many films and has few disadvantages as a general-purpose developer. I advise mixing directly from the concentrate.

Konical

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Another vote for HC110-b. I recently developed 11 rolls of 120 T Max. Using the grain magnifier, there's very little grain. It's forgiving, reasonable developing times (but don't trust anybody else's numbers, get your own).

Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    I advise mixing directly from the concentrate.Konical
    For tank development, I agree. Mix it 1:31 directly from the convenient bottle. I use about one bottle every six months and have had no problems with oxidation or decay of the original syrup in the original bottles at R.T.
    And...it's available where ever the great Yellow Mother is sold.

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    The only dev's I use are HC110 dil B and PyroCat-HD. For the flash pics tho you might find the HC110 a bit to active. D-76 would be a better choice IMHO.
    Eric: I just remembered I have a small package of Photographer's Formulary's TD-16 (D-76 substitute) in a closet in my house that makes 1 liter. I just mixed it and put it in two 500 ml bottles. Since flash units highten the intensity of bright highlights (white clothing, light dog fur, etc.), based on your experience should I use the TD-16 straight or dilute it 1:1 to tone that down? Thanks!

Terry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    After reading "The Negative" a few months ago, I switched to HC-110. I figure if it was good enough for Ansel Adams, its worth a try. I really like the economy and convenience of mixing the working solution right from the concentrate.

Have used it at 1+31 and 1+63 with Plus-X, FP-4 and HP-5. Works great.
    Last edited by GaussianNoise; 12-23-2004 at 08:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use HC-110, primarily dilution B, directliy from concentrate. I use it primarily for cost and convenience as I learn, but I also found that I adore how it looks with HP5+.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've use it on 5x4 acros. I thought it made acros relatively grainy, tho it remains very fine indeed. Acros has short dev times, so do not hesitate using more dilute mixes than dil B to give you a decent amount of time in the tank.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin