Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,726   Online: 857

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Box...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you like TriX 400, use the FP4. It looks more like TriX.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ChristopherCoy,

You could stick with Tri-X. Use a lower EI and then you can have your "wide open" f/5.6 in open shade, f/11 in daylight. The apertures of 4x5 "feel" wider than the f/stop number you're accustomed to with smaller formats.

If you change to tabular-grain emulsions in 4x5 it is like making two changes at once (film size and type of film). You might not know what change made you like your new results.

For my case, I switched to TMY-2, which I never used in any other format before. I was hooked on it and rarely use anything else in 4x5 because I like the fine grain and sharpness so much.

p.s. I work for Kodak but the opinions and positions I take are my own and not necessarily those of EKC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's another vote for Tri-X. You can also rate Tri-X at 200.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks y'all. I ended up ordering a 25 sheet box of the Arista EDU stuff. It was the cheapest film that I could find for my trial runs.

In the future I'll probably order some FP4 in all formats because I'm trying to get away from Tri-X, and Kodak chemicals completely. I've got one more bag of Dektol to mix up and use, and 5 more rolls of 120 and then I'm done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good move! It won't cost the earth for the inevitable stuff up's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Thanks y'all. I ended up ordering a 25 sheet box of the Arista EDU stuff. It was the cheapest film that I could find for my trial runs.

In the future I'll probably order some FP4 in all formats because I'm trying to get away from Tri-X, and Kodak chemicals completely. I've got one more bag of Dektol to mix up and use, and 5 more rolls of 120 and then I'm done.
    I've used the Arista in 4x5 and it has worked well, great for getting your feet under you and then some.

When you get to FP4 I'm sure you'll truly enjoy the results.

I also understand the worries nudging us all away from Kodak, but on the remote chance you don't know, the TX you know from 135 and 120 is not the same film as the TXP you'll get in sheets.

Using TXP in 4x5 is worth putting on your bucket list, it is truly special.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I like shooting as wide open as possible.
    Perhaps a neutral density filter or use of a darkly colored filter might let you open up 2 or three stops.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Perhaps a neutral density filter or use of a darkly colored filter might let you open up 2 or three stops.

I dont have any ND filters, but I'm glad you brought that up. Would you happen to know what kind/size of filters I need for a Speed Graphic with this lens?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351202270.198572.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I dont have any ND filters, but I'm glad you brought that up. Would you happen to know what kind/size of filters I need for a Speed Graphic with this lens?
    If I had to make a Scientific Wild Ass Guess I'd say 49mm, roughly 1.93" (just shy of 1-15/16").

Put a ruler to it, just remember that thread sizes are measured to the outside of the threads.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Also if you have a larger filters, say 52mm for your 35mm cameras. there are step up rings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin