Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,689   Online: 725

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

well-matured Ilfospeed

I was given a box full of darkroom accessories today (it came out of a loft and was wrapped in newspaper dated 1981) ... amongst it all was this.

Presumably Ilford would be able to tell me the actual date of manufacture from the codes on the label.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking I ought to get myself a few sheets of 5x7 ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's only 35 years old and it's Grade 3, it may be OK - just a bit slower and slightly less contrast.

On the other hand this was developer incorporated and just immersing it in an alkali solution was enough to develop it, I used tp process it in a home made activator in an Ilfoprint machine I used Hypam 1+4 instead of stabiliser and then put it in a weaker 2n fixing bath before washing & drying.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    If it has been in a loft since 198X then it will have had many years of heating up to I don't know what then cooling down again It may work but I am not so sure about the contrast. Fogging may put paid to that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try it and then tell us. If it works fine then it is testament to Ilford products.Simon Galley might like to know as well

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    just immersing it in an alkali solution was enough to develop it,
    hmm so if I mix up a batch of borax or sodium carbonate that'll be good enough as a developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford papers go very SOFT and muddy with age -- you will have to put some 'Antifoggant' into the developer.
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had some Ilfobrom from the 60's also Kodak Bromide papers and both were fine no base fog and not much drop in contrast maybe half a grade. I gave away about 500 sheets ironically on the Ilford car park at Mobberly.

It's warmtone papers that age the quickest but I've my fingers crossed for the Barnet paper I acquired recently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barnet-paper.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	492.1 KB 
ID:	59702

I've also some plates for my Quarter plate cameras, I cut my teeth on HP3 .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barnet-plate.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	59703 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hp3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	380.4 KB 
ID:	59704

You never know until you try these older items but might be surprised.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fond memories. That was the paper I started on, printing so many years ago in the school darkroom creating print images, usually shot by others, for the school yearbook's paste up and layout crew.

I still have a bit of 2.44. So nice to set up the image in white light, and not screw around with filtration. I still do have stashes of fixed grade papers I like to use.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dropped an email to Ilford (well, Harman) about this paper and part of the reply is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by technical@harmantechnology.com
    The product ... is a resin coated, graded paper. It is grade 3 - and a semi-matt paper (ie 24M indicates it is semi-matt).
    The 04E denotes it was either coated January 2005 or Oct 1996 or July 1988 (depends on which no. cycle it was).
    ... it does not have a developer incorporated in the base/emulsion ... it simply needs processing as per normal photo papers! It does not require an activator
    slightly odd that it was wrapped up in 1981 newspaper given the possible manufacturing dates (the Watford Post Echo if anyone's interested) ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds as if someone collected and kept old newspapers longer than old Ilford paper Interestingly even Ilford, it would seem, puts nothing in the number sequence to distinguish earlier cycles from later cycles

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin