Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,098   Online: 994

Thread: Sepia Toning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sepia Toning

Had a go a sepia toning last night and was getting some strange results, it look like the shadows are bronzed. What I mean by that is when you hold the print on a angle the shadows have a sheen to them and are quite different reflective nature to the rest of the print. Was using Fomaspeed RC paper, and Tetenal Sulphide Toner, the one with the control solution. Could it be the prints were not fixed or washed correctly he first time around? I ask because I was also doing Selenium then Sepia toning and that method the bronzing is much less or not at all. Tim Rudmans book didn't shine a light on my question.

Shooter
    35mm
    I won't be able to either, sorry but others will. However an example of what you got will be helpful I am sure. It's the old problem of what you see and have described may not be what others think you have described as they cannot see the print(s)

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Trouble is if I scan it you don't see it, its reflective, so won't help. I agree that a image is better to help understand though. I'll try and photograph it on a angle to see if I can pick it up.
    Photographing it worked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sepia .jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You need to wash the print very well before toning.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    So is the "blue" sections the bronzed bits and do they look blue as per the example. If washing or lack of it explains the cause it is strange that this only affects certain bits. Why did they get less washing?

My understanding is the RC paper only requires 2-3 mins max washing. How long did you wash?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Clive, looks like I need to improve my washing.
    Pentaxuser: Perhaps the silver holds more silver and requires better washing

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never use the bleach or the toner at the suggested dilutions, I find that with any sepia toner I have used over many years always needs more dilution. they mostly suggest 1/9. I would start at 1/18 for both toner and bleach,
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never use the bleach or the toner at the suggested dilutions, I find that with any sepia toner I have used over many years always needs more dilution. they mostly suggest 1/9. I would start at 1/18 for both toner and bleach,
    Richard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin