Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 767

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: colored soup

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, but if we are not going to use real photo-chemistry (which is not likely to give color OP wants anyway) then we could just use colored water....

I don't think real photo-chemistry change color enough to be effective visual queue, either. I like the food coloring idea. Or you could use water color. Or you could do B&W and paint the color in. It's an art project, not a science project, right?

Red cabbage idea brings back memories.... I did that when I was 6 years old. I remember tasting it too. Yuck!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plus-X 120 gives a beautiful dark blue-green when I dump out the pre-wet water
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    It's an art project, not a science project, right?
    Actually, yeah. And as for 'the viewer' not recognizing the process, this thing will be viewed almost exclusively by my tutors and peers at art school, so they will understand the process of DIY development.
    Thanks a lot to everyone for your suggestions. It is as I had feared—if I want to do this right, it'll take ages. So I'm going to go ahead and fake it. I'll try both watercolor and food coloring, and keep you guys posted on the results.
    Would you like to see my photos?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "fake" is just a dirty word.... how about "creatively solve the dilemma? After all, what you want is to get your point across, not necessary be scientifically correct but visually lacking impact....

Anyway, sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to seeing the results.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    "fake" is just a dirty word.... how about "creatively solve the dilemma?
    That's why I usually say, "dummy."

I usually take the word "fake" to mean that the picture has been altered, post-capture, either by using Photoshop or by creative darkroom technique such as sandwiching negatives where "dummy" means that the picture is of a real scene but the circumstances of that scene were altered.

For example the infamous Cottingley Fairies photographs, taken in 1917, would be "dummies" where the picture of Oprah Winfrey on the August, 1989 cover of TV Guide would be considered "fake."

Okay, it's semantics...
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin