Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,819   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Tmax 100 and 3 developers - which one to use?

Hi!
    I was wondering if anyone can help me out quickly. I've got two rolls of 120 tmax100 and I'm exclusively worried about shadow detail on both rolls. I have 3 developers available to me. Microphen, Perceptol, and Rodinal (Adonal).
    My first instinct was to go for the Perceptol however I've read that it has a hard time delivering full box speed so I'm afraid I might shut off my shadow detail with it.
    I didn't want to do any push developing (an extra stop) because it was all shot at box speed and I'm afraid that doing so might completely spoil a few shots in there.
    I guess my question is which one of these developers would give me the best shadow rendition? I'm currently guessing microphen but I've also given up the guess work and have resorted to the Apug Oracle!
    Last edited by Ambar; 11-13-2012 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Shadow detail is largely a function of correct exposure. There aren't developers specifically designed for shadow detail. However and this may be what you have in the back of your mind Perceptol generally needs the film exposed at half box speed in stock solution but in low speed films this seem to be less important, especially if you use it diluted 1+1.

Check manufacturers' times for the 3 developers. It may be that Perceptol will work OK at box speed.

It will deliver the finest grain but in 120 this is less important and it all depends on how big the enlargement is.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Microphen will give you the best speed and shadow detail if you are worried about exposure. Perceptol would be the worst in this case, regardless of the dilution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Microphen will give you the best speed and shadow detail if you are worried about exposure. Perceptol would be the worst in this case, regardless of the dilution.
    +1
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! I think I'm going with microphen.. Grain isn't much of a concern to me as I'll only be enlarging up to 11x14 and a little grain never bothered me. I've never used Tmax100 so theres a little anxiety involved with this (there are a couple of shots in there which I REALLY want to see come out nice).
    As for dilutions is there any advice? I generally like to stick to 1+1 and get a better milage off of my developer but I'm willing to give up on this idea if it sounds less prudent for any reason.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have to agree with Michael R 1974 and markbarendt because from the Photographic Lab Handbook by John S. Carroll 5th ed... The first sentence under the heading "Ilford Microphen Fine-Grain Developer"

Ilford Microphen is a fine-grain developer which gives an effective increase in film speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Compared to the rest of the costs involved, developer is a really small worry.

IMO the "effect" of the dilution you use, should be the primary driver. Typically for solvent type developers stock strength gives finer grain, more dilute gives more sharpness.

Which would you prefer?

Could you tell the difference?

Switching dilutions is about fine tuning, they are choices you can make in the future.

Any of the listed dilutions should work just fine for a first try even on an important roll.

http://ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2011427133131459.pdf
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Medium format TMAX 400 is almost grainless at 16x20 so I'm sure whatever you choose will be perfectly grainless at 11x14.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Microphen is a very underrated developer and is a good alternative to D-76/ID-11 for anyone who has a metol allergy.
    It provides a high speed yields while keeping graininess to a minimum and is a good general use developer. A pity that Ilford only sell it in 1 litre packs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Compared to the rest of the costs involved, developer is a really small worry.
    Agree completely. Do not skimp on developer if you want consistent, high quality negatives. Use dilutions to control image characteristics, not to save money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin