Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,464   Online: 948

Shooter
    Large Format

Processing OLD Tri-X

HI - I have a few "mystery rolls" of (exposed) Tri-X that are probably 25 years old. Processed one as a test in D76 1:1, with Benzotriazole added per directions and the film was completely blank. Not even the edgeprint came up. Any thoughts on this, or maybe a different developer? Thanks !
    r.j. phil

www.rjphil.com

"What if they're not dreams - what if they're instructions?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have old exposed film to try, but I do know that old film recently exposed needs heaps of exposure.

I use mid 60's long frozen film, that statrted as 100 iso. It is now around 12 iso in sensitivity, and needs 18 minutes in straight d-76, 20C, 30 seconds interval of 2 second agitiation with no additional anti-foggants to get anything like a normal gamma for the processed film.

So you say 'per directions' - do you mean some old film processing threead instructions, or the package directions?
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe try exposing an image onto a tail of the film for the next time, at EI 64 (my favorite old Tri-X advice)... And perhaps skip the Benzotriazole - you will get fog, but maybe there will be traces of image. If you can develop by inspection, give it a long time in developer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks. This is film that was shot "back then". I'll try a longer development time, and maybe a higher energy developer. I used the D76 times that I process at now, just added 10% for "insurance".
    r.j. phil

www.rjphil.com

"What if they're not dreams - what if they're instructions?"

Shooter
    Multi Format

Processing OLD Tri-X

Quote Originally Posted by rjphil View Post
    Thanks. This is film that was shot "back then". I'll try a longer development time, and maybe a higher energy developer. I used the D76 times that I process at now, just added 10% for "insurance".
    Use d76 stock, 20 minutes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin