Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,667   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Confused about fixers

Here is what I have read:

Photographers Formulary's TF-4 and Kodak's Rapid Fix are both based on Ammonium Thiosulphate and both are considered rapid fixers.

TF-4 is non hardening therefore does not have to have an acid environment that the hardener needs to work. Kodak Rapid Fix can be a hardening fixer with the addition of the Part B Hardener solution, so I assume that the Part A solution is acidic.

i) What component of a fixer formula causes it to be considered an acid fixer?
    ii) Can fixers based on Ammonium Thiosulphate or Sodium Thiosulphate be formulated to be either acidic or base?

Thanks

Todd

Enjoying our 25 cm of fresh new snow (hopefully not acid snow)!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i) the acid.

ii) yup.

That's more snow then us-)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nick's answer is brief, to the point, and ... brief.

The rationale behind acid fixers is as follows:

1: acid fix removes the "unsightly stain" from certain developers like pyro (and that's a quote!).

2: The most useful hardeners need an acid environment to work.

3: If the stop bath has lost its acidity, the fix stops development dead.

So the reason for alkaline fixers will be - so what ?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    High PH - Shorter wash times - Better archival prints - Better with staining developers - faster fix times - great capacity. - I only use Ammonium Thiosulfate fixers (TF3) - especially with my handheld 8x10 ... Ole ;o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greetings All; I always use the 'Two Bath' fixing for prints, Shorter fixing times AND longer life for the fixers. Barrie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never been called brief before. Must be the snow.

I'm not sure I understand the comment about high pH fixers being faster. An acidic sodium thiosulfate fixer isn't going to fix much different then one with a higher pH. Rapid fixers are faster then sodium thiosulfate ones but that's not a pH issue.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nick,

the alkaline fixer makes the emulsion swell, allowing the thiosulfate to penetrate it faster and thus accelerating the fixing... and the washing.

At least in theory... ;-)
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not trying to HJ the thread..but have been using Ilford Rapid Fix and now it has gotten hard to find would like to find a replacement before I run out.

What I would like is something that will last as long as the Ilford RF, but something I could mix - don't want to pay shipping for the H20.

Recommendations?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Not trying to HJ the thread..but have been using Ilford Rapid Fix and now it has gotten hard to find would like to find a replacement before I run out.

What I would like is something that will last as long as the Ilford RF, but something I could mix - don't want to pay shipping for the H20.

Recommendations?
    Try Ole's Fix (OF-1). It is listed in the APUG Chemistry Recipes.

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=38
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Fixer

Photomc-check out Fineartsphotosupply. I'm using the fixer made for Tgrain films which has a long life and works beautifully for pyro negs. This fixer is only for film but is VERY economical and you mix it yourself. For prints I only use NAthiosufate which I buy 100LBS. at a time locally. I may get heat on this but straight fixer works fine for my prints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin