Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,731   Posts: 1,515,256   Online: 813

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

'Other' warmtone papers?

Howdy,

Since I have been printing, I have been very limited in the papers I have used - basically, its been pretty much Ilford, except for trying some Arista EDU recently.

My favourite paper thus far has been the Ilford Warmtone (RC in Perl). I would like to give some other warmtone papers a try, this time in Fibre. What are peoples thoughts on other warmtone papers that are available? What would be a good substitute to Ilford?

Cheers
    Last edited by hoffy; 11-15-2012 at 05:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For regular printing I use Ilford Warmtone, but Forte also has a nice warmtone. The forte material can't get the extremes of contrast as well (if that is important to you) and tones much more vigorously. I think it looks better untoned than the Ilford looks untoned......I always at least selenium tone so this isn't important to me.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Foma makes its 131/132 Fomatone Classic emulsions. Warmer than Ilford.
    Foma makes the 531/532 with a 'natural' base as they call it. As far as I understand it, the emulsion is the same as 131/132, but the base is different.
    Seagull has its warmtone emulsion, which I haven't tried myself.
    Beyond that I scope Adox Variotone Warmtone. I have no idea what this paper is, but that's a third alternative.

That's all I can find in warmtone papers anymore.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Adox MCC is a warmtone paper, you've missed that one Thomas. Agfa MCC was my main paper for many years I only stopped using it because Agfa ceased making films & papers.

The warmth of all warmtone papers is easy manipulated with development controls, shorter exposures and longer development shifts towards cold, longer exposures and short development time or more dilute developer extent the warmth significantly.

I've still got a couple of hundred sheets of Forte Polywarmtone but my choice in it's place would be Fomatone MG Classic 131, or at a push Ilford warmtone FB.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use Oriental WT. It is warmer than Ilford.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last I looked Freestyle still has a few boxes of Salvich warmtone, I bought a box of grade 2 8X10 which I am happy with. I found a supplier in Washington who says they will carry Salvich.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Pray that Adox will bring back Polywarmtone as well.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another + for Oriental. It's got a nice look to it that you'd like if you like Ilford's look. Its QC is also great too.

Don't forego Ilford's warmtone in FB, either. Not sure how it looks, if any difference, between the RC version (which I haven't used) but it's stellar.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Adox MCC is a warmtone paper, you've missed that one Thomas. Agfa MCC was my main paper for many years I only stopped using it because Agfa ceased making films & papers.
    Could have fooled me by how neutral it looks. Do they really market it as a warmtone paper?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin