Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,043   Online: 875

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks like the curling is pretty consistent on each frame.try to send your next film to the lab, then if it the same problem, you might wanna check your camera...
    Last edited by MARKNABIA; 12-07-2012 at 12:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, it's with my 645NII.

I have had recent rolls out of this camera processed by a lab and at home without this problem. So either it has happened very recently or it's somehow related to the cold weather. If I can shoot a test roll indoors without a problem then maybe I can narrow it down to temperature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well looking at the first new frame you posted, it almost looks like light is coming around the bump on the lower right side. Check the camera, something could be buckling in front of the shutter curtains and causing a shadow on the film, maybe?
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is on Pan F+ but the last roll was Delta 400 so I'm reasonably confident it's not a film issue. I've had good rolls out of both of these batches of film.

I did have some unexpected vignetting on a few shots. I'll open the camera and lens and see if anything looks weird.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shot a film test with Tri-X tonight. All the frames came out just fine, using my normal agitation and development style. I really don't think this could be a development problem, especially since the frames with these problems have clear edges.

So that means it is looking like a camera or a lens issue and possibly cold related. I opened the back and cycled the shutter and don't see any problems. Ditto with the lens, everything appears normal. I'll inspect the film back a little closer and compare it to the other ones that I own.

I just can't think of how light could be getting blocked from the sides of the frames, which is the top and bottom of the film in the camera. Is my film buckling in the cold?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I just had a look in my 645, the original one, the light absorbing liner behind the mirror and in front of the shutter appears to be a flock covered plastic liner. It could come loose, I guess and buckle and bow out on the sides, in front of the frame rails. If you can lock your shutter open on a B or T setting it's easier to look at. You do have to push in on one of the pins on the grip side of the camera to fool it into working without a film insert.

Those "marks" are on the sides of the frame and the camera, not the top and bottom.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would it be possible that you stored the film next to a chemical for quite some time that would desensitise the emulsion at the edges of the the first few frames? A bit like a fat roll light leak but vapour, not light. I realise this is a long shot, but long term storage next to Ferricyanide etc? Or, frozen storage with humidity, ice forming, backing paper sticking... Brain storming.

It is puzzling how regular the top and bottom is. I suppose mechanical issue is more likely, in the camera.

Ps. I did not realise it is between frames, was thinking top and bottom. Ignore my suggestion, please.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The negatives are showing up as positives on my screen. I presume they are supposed to be negatives and not a positive process right? They are not prints, right?

You have only included the frame markings in the first post, but if they are still developed adequately on subsequent images, then that rules out film-coating and processing issues.

Do you have any anti-reflective material coming loose in the mirror box?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry yes the scans are positive scans. So there is a white fog on the frame edges negatives that seems to indicate either not getting light or not getting development. As the film edges are developed that leaves me looking at in-camera problems.

I opened the shutter and looked inside the camera and I really can't see any problems. It looks great in there, nothing appears to be blocking the frame.

The two times it has happened have been with a very cold camera. So I'm racking my brain to think what could be happening, maybe sticking shutter or loose film or...?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know if that camera has a bellows, but if it does, check it. It looks to me like it's out of focus like its in front of the film plane some how.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin