Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,995   Online: 799

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I don't really relish paying that much for it, but...I like it. I don't know. I'm conflicted. No one knows the recipe, right?
    Right, no one knows the recipe for Diafine except the folks at BKA. There is a knock-off recipe in TDC. I've tried it and it doesn't work for me, but YMMV.

I have substituted carbonate for the metaborate and had better results. It needs further experiments.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am a multi year User of diafine and also Xtol. Recently mixed my first batch of Barry Thornton two bath developer. The chemicals were about $40 shipped from PhotoFormulary and it will make six liters of both baths or about 100 rolls. Some people say that you can replenish and use it forever like diafine. There are several threads on this if you are interested to learn more.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    silver bullets cost a lot of $$

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Don't look at $/gal, figure out $/roll - that's what really matters. I believe Diafine basically lasts forever and the only consumption is via carryover.

You can also mix similar 2-bath devs from scratch for pretty cheap.
    I agree. It lasts almost forever. In practice I found that it does eventually get "tired" and start producing thin negatives, or maybe this was because I never bothered replinishing a working bottle with fresh to top off per instructions, just kept pouring it back in the bottle. In any case though I found this limit was about 60-70 35mm rolls per quart. At the lower number that's eighteen cents per roll. I have a gallon I've been using for two years, and another gallon of powder on the shelf. As far as I know the powder should keep for many years since it's sealed in metal cans. I've been tempted to stock up since I saw the price going up. A couple more gallons would be a lifetime supply.

But if the price is really bothersome, Badger has it for $34.95:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=2865

Or $20.95 per quart:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=2864

Even though the price per unit quantity is almost twice as much a quart may be all you need for a long time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Diafine has gone way up in price, but...

- A gallon will process dozens of rolls, so per roll cost is actually quite low.
    - It's really good and I can't think of an alternative.

It's still a good deal and I would rather pay a little more, than not have access to Diafine at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well said Harry. It's no longer my only or main developer but I keep it on hand and use it for what others just don't do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    silver bullets cost a lot of $$
    Yes they do.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=brianmquinn;1421040However Ilford DD-X is almost $70 per gallon. .[/QUOTE]

I presume this is a U.S gallon which is 3.78 litres so in GBP that is about £11.50 per litre. What great value. The cheapest I have ever seen this in the U.K. is about £16 per litre

We in the U.K. have been here before in other threads about prices but how privileged you are in the U.S. to have these prices.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I happily pay $18 per liter for my DD-X.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    TBH, if you're spending that much on Diafine, I'd go for Emofin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin