Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,702   Online: 1170

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

$42 for a gallon of developer? Seriously?

I decided I should buy some new Diafine, not because my old batch died but because I'm down to about a liter from the original gallon.

Freestyle has it, but it's $42. What?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't really relish paying that much for it, but...I like it. I don't know. I'm conflicted. No one knows the recipe, right?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was about to buy some in order to try it out on suggestion from a discussion in another thread but, after seeing the price, I figured it could wait.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is not just Freestyle but everyone. My guess is that BKA decided that the only way they were not going to discontinue Diafine is if they made a profit on it. Increasing the price from $12.99 a gallon (what I last paid a few years ago) to over $40 was a shock, but I paid it. When you consider the total number of rolls you can develop per liter (or gallon) Diafine is still a bargain.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 11-17-2012 at 09:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I was about to buy some in order to try it out on suggestion from a discussion in another thread but, after seeing the price, I figured it could wait.
    If you want I can send you some of my liquid Diafine for you to try out. A gallon lasts me about 5 years and has never gone bad in storage. If I can get you to buy than maybe in 5 years they will still have it for sale. Send me a PM.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Adorama has it for about $25 per quart (Liter) with shipping. That is the best deal I see now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A final note. Ilford DD-X is a fantastic speed increasing developer, like Diafine. However Ilford DD-X is almost $70 per gallon. DD-X will also yield far less rolls of film developed as it can not be reused as much as Diafine.

For others who care to comment, I do use BOTH of these developers. DD-X is best for Delta 3200, Daifine is best for Tri-X rated at 1250. The final image is all that matters. Pay what you need to achieve your vision.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 11-17-2012 at 10:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've made home made 'Diafine' before, worked very well. I'll try to recall the recipe I used. Qutie cheap to mix up, first bath pH is fairly critical as there needs to be -some- development in there so that bath B can accelerate that faint low contrast image, if bath B only has the latent image to work with, you'll get poor thin negs.

Nowadays, I just cant stop loving Xtol (even if it wasn't one of the cheapest, I'd still be all over it).

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I will end up switching to Xtol. I find I get the same shadow speed with Xtol as with Diafine, but the great thing about Diafine is that my regularly-exposed shots on the same roll don't get totally cooked.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't look at $/gal, figure out $/roll - that's what really matters. I believe Diafine basically lasts forever and the only consumption is via carryover.

You can also mix similar 2-bath devs from scratch for pretty cheap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin