Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,146   Online: 1114

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Erson View Post
    I am bumping my own thread because I have news :

I was wrong it wasn't a case of dirty reels and tank, the culprit was the developer! And more precisely the water used for mixing it. It was bloody hard and for a reason it made the developer foam in the tank.

I realized this by accident when I decided to stop buying Kodak's D-76 and make my own. The first batch I mixed from raw chemicals was cloudy and milky and that's how I realized my water was not good.
    (the funny thing is my D-76 made from Kodak bags was always limpid... I guess they add a few things to the raw chemicals at Rochester).

The plot thickens now : my "hard water" cloudy milky D-76 always gives me foam and bubbles on the negs... except when it's rested for a few days (say 10). After a short period it's much less troublesome. Go figure!
    Adding 2 to 3 grams of sodium hexametaphosphate to the water for each litre of developer and before dissolving the main constituents should cure this problem.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/ca...hate-100g.html

Sequestering agents rarely get mentioned in threads about mixing developers from scratch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I was wrong it wasn't a case of dirty reels and tank, the culprit was the developer! And more precisely the water used for mixing it. It was bloody hard and for a reason it made the developer foam in the tank.

I realized this by accident when I decided to stop buying Kodak's D-76 and make my own. The first batch I mixed from raw chemicals was cloudy and milky and that's how I realized my water was not good.
    (the funny thing is my D-76 made from Kodak bags was always limpid... I guess they add a few things to the raw chemicals at Rochester).

The plot thickens now : my "hard water" cloudy milky D-76 always gives me foam and bubbles on the negs... except when it's rested for a few days (say 10). After a short period it's much less troublesome. Go figure!
    Thanks for this... I've been struggling with foam for months now, event tried without wetting agent (and I god drying marks AND foam ).
    I'll try distilled water for developer (at the moment I do the "stock" dilution with distilled water, then plain tap water for the final dilution) and see what happens...
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't see how hard water could induce foam in a solution that does not contain wetting agent, as fixer.
    With some surfactants, as soap (which is not used in processing baths), hard water even strongly reduces the foaming capability.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think D76 in a Kodak package contains lots of water softner but boiling a kettle and letting it cool will remove lots or air and some hardness. If you mixing it from a formula with a scale Id recommend that.

I try and stick with eg ID 68 which is buffered enough to ignore the hard water my faucet produces. I only boil enough to temper with cold faucet down to 45C or so.

I never clean my Patterson reels some are 50 years old. They only get a rinse in photo flow or dish wash detergent.

They are grubby looking. But if they are dry they load ok even with 220.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey Laurent to make it clear : all these times I struggled with my dev I still used a wetting agent right before hanging the negs (Ilfotol at 1/200 works fine = no marks).
    Regarding the foaming/bubbles issue the problems disappeared if I dissolved the powder in distilled water (plus my D-76 is crystal clear).

@ Keith : thx for the tip. I'll try it asap!

Shooter
    Medium Format

The water here is very hard too so I buy distillated water. But the last film I developed I used filtered water to wash the negatives and it worked fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The result is the very last image of my films has tiny white round stains and is therefore unprintable as is. Strangely the rest of each film is clean and bubble-free as it should be......
    I occasionally had this problem when I hung film vertically to dry. Now I hang film at a 45 degree angle. Any bubbles now only have to get across the film not down the entire length. And the bubbles gather on the bottom edge of the film not the picture area.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But why not horizontally (lengthwise) then? Would make even more sense in your concept.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey Laurent to make it clear : all these times I struggled with my dev I still used a wetting agent right before hanging the negs (Ilfotol at 1/200 works fine = no marks).
    Regarding the foaming/bubbles issue the problems disappeared if I dissolved the powder in distilled water (plus my D-76 is crystal clear).

@ Keith : thx for the tip. I'll try it asap!
    Pat, I had the same issue with HC110, dunno if it still could be the water... I'll give distilled water a try anyway
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    @ Maris : I had stains on my negs because of the foaming during the developement, not because of improper handling during the drying stage (yep the foaming was that bad between agitation cycles i'd remove the lid of my tank and "ssssssshhhhhhh" foam would pop out).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin