Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,210   Online: 1043

Shooter
    35mm

My developer is huffing

I never used to worry about my D-76 going bad, at 1:1 I used it up quick enough. Lately I have been using it at 1:3 and developing a roll at a time so last night after pouring another 4 fl. oz. I gave the bottle a shot of Blow Off brand duster gas and put the cap on. Tonight I noticed the plastic bottle has collapsed a bit, as if some of the air/Blow Off has been absorbed by the developer. The Blow Off ingredient is 1,1-difluoroethane. Wikipedia says it's benign other than being lethal if you huff it.

Could this gas and its absorption by the developer affect the developer's action?

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Get yourself a case of 250 or 500ml glass bottles from usplastics.com

Super cheap. No worries about freshness cause there's never any air.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds more like the bottle is getting fairly empty and cooled off after being closed.

Yes some will be dissolved in the dev, but it takes a while.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm betting with Bob.

Canned air is basically Freon-152, if memory serves. As a refrigerant, we should expect it to expand and contract in response to changes in temperature and pressure more than air. Right?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Plastic bottle collapsing:
    I've seen the same thing happen with my home-brewed clones of XTOL, and with XTOL itself. I use Dust-Off, which is also difluoroethane. It seems to be absorbed by the dev, creating a partial vacuum, collapsing plastic containers. So far, it has done no harm to my developers. Now I store them in glass bottles, solving the problem of collapsing. But when I unscrew the cap, I hear a "fsss" sound, reminding me about the partial vacuum and making me wonder if I should be using nitrogen instead.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also appears to be much more soluble in water than butane.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Also appears to be much more soluble in water than butane.
    I used to use the dust off and have the bottle collapse, no problem with the chems but that is anecdotal.

I use Butane/Propane now, no collapse.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Best thing probably is to exclude air from the storage bottles, squeeze it out before replacing the cap, and ensure the bottle is airtight. My ID-11, made up 1:0 in August 2008 has been stored in 500ml plastic (PET I think) pop bottles, and it's good to go. Oxygen absorbed from the atmosphere will slowly oxidise the developer. I don't know what effect 100% butane would have. If the dev significantly darkens, it's probably stuffed. It works for me, but YMVV.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin