Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,740   Online: 953

Thread: Pushing PanF+

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Pushing PanF+

Does PanF+ push well at all?

I've got Ilfosol S and whatever Freestyles "Arista" developer is, and could stop and get some Rodinal if need be.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My only concern with pushing Pan F would be the increase in contrast. As really you are under exposing and over developing. Pam F is a slow film and doubling the speed you are going to get an EI of between 64 and 100.

Personally I think you would be better served with using a 100 or 400 speed film and processing normally.

- Mike

Images
    I agree with Mike. I have enough problems fighting to get decent shadow detail with Pan F at 50. With some developers I even have to under-rate it. It would probably be better to use a faster film and save the Pan F for what it does best.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also agree with Mike and Neal. Unless it was an emergency and you had to push PanF, why do so purposely? FP4+, Plus X, HP5+ and Tri-X are better suited for higher ISO's.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On pp. 53-54 of the "Film Developing Cookbook," Anchell and Troop discuss using a slow film like Pan F+ at double the rated speed in the Beutler developer http://www.jackspcs.com/fdnb.htm. I have tried this combination (Pan F+ at ASA100 with the Beutler developer) and found that the resulting negatives print well with shadows that are present, but probably not as "luminous" (pushed out of the toe region on to the straight line of the film curve) as some are wanting.

So whether Pan F+ "pushes well" depends upon what results you want. But I have gotten printable, satisfying results at ASA100 with the above combination.

Good luck!

--Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino
    Does PanF+ push well at all?

I've got Ilfosol S and whatever Freestyles "Arista" developer is, and could stop and get some Rodinal if need be.

Thanks!
    Last edited by felipemorgan; 12-25-2004 at 11:06 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarity

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene
    I also agree with Mike and Neal. Unless it was an emergency and you had to push PanF, why do so purposely? FP4+, Plus X, HP5+ and Tri-X are better suited for higher ISO's.

gene
    Thats it exactly. I grabbed my rolls of PanF+ instead of HP5+.

Oopsie.

But after about 20 exposures in -30 deg F. windchill I decided it was too cold to shoot, so no worries. =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zen If you pull the HP5+ to 200 it's interesting how similar it looks to Pan F imo.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin