Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,777   Online: 880

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mottling and Streaking

I have used for years T-Max 400 film from 35 mm to 8x10. I use T-Max RS Developer and pour the small bottle into the larger one. I also use the JOBO CPP2 processor. As for a general dilution I use 75ml of dev. to make 1000 ml of working solution and a 5 minute Dev. time. at 70 degrees. I also give all negative one minute Pre-Soak but I have been told it should be longer. Most of my smaller negatives come out perfect. But in a few large format negative I get this vertical mottling or streaking in the clear areas of the sky. Some areas where I took these photos from I can't go back there. I want to prevent this happening in the future. Would it be T-Max RS or is there a MUCH better developer for T-Max films? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Eliminate the pre-soak, on many modern films it causes problems.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not eliminate the pre-soak!

Do you use a stop bath? This becomes critical as the format becomes larger!

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I would find a way to extend the development time as 5 minutes is very short for even development.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tray process LF film. Presoaks are always stipulated by the manufacturers, and have never caused me a problem with any of the tens of films and developers I've used. Mottling and streaking are common when insufficient developer is used and agitation is not begun immediately upon insertion. I'd look at what similar conditions may be present in your processor. XTOL works fine (and reliably) with TMAX. Most developers work best when given around 10 minutes (or longer) for normal development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have have that problem a lot with Ilford's 120, kodak seems to be bullet proof for me. I pay alot more to my agitation method when that happens.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TMax RS is a fine developer for all types of processing including rotary. Are you sure the mottling is on the emulsion side or is it possible your seeing it on the base side? I'm asking because this is occasionally something that can happen with sheet film processed in rotary tanks (the film base is in direct contact with the tank).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Longer development time would help perhaps.

Also, Jobo recommends using their sheet film tanks to prevent back mottle. Are you using the Jobo prescribed method?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I do use an acid stop bath and I use the Kodak Rapid Fixer. I use the prescribed speeds for each style of film on the JOBO, sheet film has one and roll film has another speed. I use the JOBO drums that are designed for sheet film and of course the emulsion side is facing the inside for developer contact. Has anyone tried Illford DDX developer? Someone told me its better then T-Max. Otherwise I will "Re-do" my film, time combinations to get a longer development time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that Jobo later changed the speed recommendations to the fast speed for all.

Please check on that.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin