Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,573,000   Online: 847

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Okay, good deduction.
    My next guess would be similar to gary about loading the reels.
    It's easy when starting out to misload the film and if the film touches itself, the chemistry cant get to that part.
    yes i agree. if only i could tell in the dark if i was loading it wrong. I haven't gotten the feel for it yet. Maybe i should just invest in some night vision goggles! haha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using plastic or stainless reels?

I'd sacrifice a roll and practice in the light.

This is something I'm betting all of us has had to conquer.

Shooter
    35mm

I am using plastic reels. I do have a practice reel and i can seem to do it ok in the light. Maybe leaving the leader outside the reel when I wind the film back up and cut it perfectly straight will help.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Second this. After practicing in the light try loading the reel with your eyes closed a few times.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tyqre View Post
    I am using plastic reels. I do have a practice reel and i can seem to do it ok in the light. Maybe leaving the leader outside the reel when I wind the film back up and cut it perfectly straight will help.
    When you load:

1) listen carefully to the sound the film makes as you load it - it is distinctive when the film goes off track;
    2) use your fingers to regularly check the side of the reels. When the film goes off track, it tends to protrude;
    3) make sure the ball bearings are moving freely before you start loading the film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The film should load easily on a Patterson reel if it is absolutely clean and dry.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ill shoot another roll of film tomorrow and try again, thanks guys for all your help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Make sure the reel is totally dry....that's a big mistake I made with the result of frustration and ruined images. I agree with photo-flo...when I develop b/w negatives that's my last step and it really helps

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All above valuable advise, dry reels the absolutely most important thing.

Another thing, make sure your hands are dry.....silly point?, no its not, the film surface ( any film ) will easily take on moisture, keep a lint free cloth handy, when l started out processing a loooong time ago and when training other people they were a little nervous / anxious when loading onto Paterson reels, and if you are then you perspire.

I really do not know if people wera cotton gloves? I never have as you need to 'feel'.
    Simon.

ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin