Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,752   Posts: 1,670,712   Online: 837

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm as anal with my unexposed film, but only store exposed rolls open (no bag or Tupperware) on the shelf, but the shelf of the fridge, I think storing unexposed rolls out in the open at room temp or above is just inviting trouble...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I forgot to add that, once placed in the Tupperware container, the film goes into a -20C deep-freeze...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Pan F+ Problem.. Came out almost clear!

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    I forgot to add that, once placed in the Tupperware container, the film goes into a -20C deep-freeze...
    Hahaha!! Nice!

Yea the stuff I won't use for a while or the stuff that's old that I buy for play/experiment is kept in my non-frostfree freezer, I've never checked the actual temp, it's the best I can do so it doesn't matter, and the stuff I plan to use soon in the fridge.

Everything except the the exposed stuff is kept in those 4 side sealing Tupperware type containers (the good ones not the crappy rubbermade ones) and anything that I might need to separate is kept on separate plastic bags inside the Tupperware so if I open quick to grab something the inevitable moisture doesn't risk the other stuff.

I'm sort of done with older film now, it's too much of a pain, so I'm going to run through it, and then not use plastic bags for the newer stuff, those bags they come in are pretty good.

You DO have me worried about my unexposed rolls of pan f+ now...

Waiting on a shipment of multi 120 reel tank that I ordered, doing 10 rolls one at a time taught me a lesson. Hope my unprotected rolls are ok...

It's only been 4 days and I should get my tank by the weekend I hope but still, now I'm all panicked... Lol

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey guys! I've been completely drowned at work and have had little time to respond! Thank you all for the input..
    Let me clarify one thing VERY clearly! I LOVE PAN F+.. I just bought a batch of PanF in 120 and intend on using this film for many years to come! If this roll turned out bad for any reason, I am absolutely positive it is simply because of my poor judgement somewhere in the process. Where was my poor judgement, that is the question.. Simon, if you're out there, don't send the firing squad anywhere!! I want my Pan F forever!
    This was indeed the first time I've used Pan F+ with rodinal, and I was curiose if there were any mishaps in my processing (Like: "You crazy?!?! 11 minutes would never get you close..") That kind of thing..
    I don't beleive this was a bad batch of PAN F because it comes from a bulk load that I've used up most of already. Developed in XTOL with no issues.
    The temp was correct, I used that exact thermometer an hour before to process another film and have used it a couple of times since with no issues. With Rodinal and Microphen.
    I've thought about a possible problem with my ISO setting on the camera. But it would REALLY be wierd. I shot this roll over the course of some maybe 3 days, and I constantly check My ISO setting (in a somewhat OCD fashion. Maybe I am actually OCD about it). Though rare, I'm not above shooting a couple of shots with the wrong ISO, but an entire roll over the course of 3 days... Really doesn't sound like me shooting, but, there's a first time for everything.
    As for letting the developer die a slow painful death sitting on the counter, it's a good hypothesis but I'd say it's not possible. I brought the water up to temp like I always do and mixed the 5ml of rodinal a meager minute before pouring into the developing can.
    An APUG friend PMed me a few ideas, and one sounds like it could be good new contender. He hypothesized that it might have been a cross contamination issue, where the tiniest little bit of fixer got into my developer some how and killed it. I am developing these in my tiny bathroom with barely enough sink space for a toothbrush. Though I am careful and sensitive to such issue, in these conditions, these things can't be ruled out.
    If it was a latent image stability problem, I know for a fact that I was pushing my luck with the conditions I left it at, sub optimal at best and downright asking for it at worst. I will say that 2 rolls of Tri-X sat by it for pretty much the exact same amount of time and suffered the exact same torture and turned out fine. But this could simply indicate that the conditions were not bad enough to cause this kind of degredation. Once again pointing the finger at chemistry...
    When I posted this, I wondered if others had had similar experience with PanF and Rodinal.. If I kept it in conditions that would cause this latent image issue (existant or not) to flare up. But I have to admit that the fixer-in-developer hypothesis seems like it could be it. I'm not saying that I'm blatantly sloppy in my darkroom, but mistakes can be made.
    Will a drop or two of working strength Ilford Rapid fixer be able to do this? My guess is that if I were using higher volumes of developer this might not have had as drastic an effect, but when you're dealing with 250 ml, 2 drops goes a long way.
    Last edited by Ambar; 11-23-2012 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think all you can do is shoot a small roll(say 12 frames) from your bulk roll and do everything you think you did correctly again but this time treat each stage as if your life depended on it That is check each stage very carefully even down to checking on correct volumes of liquid.

We were all tearing our hair out on another forum trying to solve a similar type of problem where the user was convinced he had done everything correct. When he tried again it suddenly struck him that he had misread the marking on his chemical graduates and had used too little developer. Problem solved

I am not saying that this is the issue here, just that such thing happen

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    I do the same! Those Tuppaware pieces come in mighty handy - took 2 full ones with me on a trip back to the EU, US & UK in 98 (plus I purchased another 30 rolls of Agfachrome 100 in London (Joe's Basement), that just saw out a month around the UK. Approx 3 months total with about 90 rolls of film shot. Now they just store film frozen nicely for use when needed. (Swiped a few extras off my mum - she has soooo much of the stuff, she wasn't the least bit bothered.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I promised to come back to you on Latent Image Stability of PAN F + having had my discussions with our Tech Service.

Our Tech Service stated the following : Latent image stability can be an issue with all films, slow films typically exhibit this issue more than faster films ( or more obviously anyway ). If you look at traditionally produced emulsions they tend to be poorer than more modern CCG ( controlled crystal growth / core shell technology ) films such as DELTA Professional. Also film does deteriorate with age, thats why its date stamped, one of the examples of detrioration is poorer latent image stability.

Therefore, PAN F+ is a traditional emulsion and our slowest film, therefore its latent image performance, whilst perfectly normal and acceptable is the least resistant of all our emulsions. Our Tech service state that in normal use you should not experience latent image stability issues that would be 'noticeable'.

I asked them what they would recommend? They said : Buy film that is 'in' date*, once you have bought film store it properly, in a cool dark place, try not to have big temperature variations do not expose to temperatures above 25degreesC for long periods. Try to avoid keeping part exposed rolls 'in camera' or fully exposed rolls for longer than three months without processing them.

If you store films in a fridge or freeze them ensure you leave them at least 24 hours and preferably 48 hours before using them.

* In date : PAN F+ films leave the factory with a 3 year life for medium format film ( 120 ) and a 4 year life for miniature film ( 35mm ).

I hope that helps.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simon - thanks again for your support regarding Ilford/Harman products on here. Helpful as always.

Michael

Shooter
    35mm
    What Michael said. Thanks Simon

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Pan F+ Problem.. Came out almost clear!

That was great info, yea thanks!

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Even with under exposure, the numbers will show with proper development.. I am thinking fix first, or completely pooched developer.

The numbers don't lie , even in digital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Are you sure that the film was correctly exposed? Since you shoot Tri-X did you reset the film speed dial on the camera? Failure to do so would mean an under exposure of 3 stops. Under exposure looks a lot like under development. Also you don't mention any agitation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin