Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,348   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Do I have to use reels?

If I'm using Diafine, why can't I just stick it in a bucket? If I leave it in there long enough, will it just sort itself out?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In theory it would work but reels help to prevent scratching. e.g. the edges of the film rubbing the emulsion.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could use a pipe long enough to hang the film vertically without folds or curls - a single roll dip and dunk approach.

That would, however, take a lot of Diafine.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thats a good idea. Since diafine never runs out, theres no reason not to mix up two pipes full.

What did people do with Dip & dunk with 15 foot of 70mm out of interest? Did they have 15 ft deep pits at the labs?

Daniel.

PS. What is the problem with the curls btw?
    Last edited by snaggs; 11-22-2012 at 03:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Films were wound onto a frame.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok, so one to halve the length of a 15ft strip would be ok?

This sounds like ideal lazy developing to me!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lazy?

We are not talking about stand-development. Are we? Processing film on frames hanging in bassins still needs agitation. Typically done by means of N2 bursts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, you don't have to use reels but they are a lot easier to use than any of the alternatives. Is there a particular reason why you don't want to use reels.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Im not very good at them. Ok on 35mm, but a bit daunted on what to do with 120 hands get sweaty in the change bag, so if you dont get it right it just gets more complicated!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
    Im not very good at them. Ok on 35mm, but a bit daunted on what to do with 120 hands get sweaty in the change bag, so if you dont get it right it just gets more complicated!
    I had that problem at first....try practising with a scrap film, both in and out the changing bag, until you overcome the fear of messing up the film.

Or see if you can thoroughly black out a room, maybe more comfortable than a changing bag. Keep a light-tight box available, to hold the film and reel, in case you get stuck or need a break.

Reels and tanks do take a bit of patience at first, but are much more convenient for smallscale use, and less likely to damage the film than the options (IMHO).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin