Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,370   Online: 1180

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fatso View Post
    I shoot medium format rollfilm mostly with a SWC, and looking back at some of my old negatives (Ilford Delta 100/D76) they seem a bit grainy...
    Paul I rattled off some emulsions and developing techniques that I like but for whatever reason I didn't see the part of your post about Delta 100/D76. I have not used Delta 100 recently and I can't even remember the last time I used D76. So I can't make any comparisons between them and anything else. Just wanted to state that in the interest of full disclosure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Hello Simon,

in the cross section picture there is (under the overcoat) on top the (I quote) "Fast Emulsion Layer, Tabular Grains".
    And under this layer the "Slow Emulsion Layer, 3 Dimensional Grains".

The next page (9) there is also a cross section picture of Tri-X: And the 3 Dimensional Grains in the layers there look similar in shape compared to the 3D Grains in the TMY-2.

So both from the text in the book, and both cross section pictures it looks like TMY-2 has both traditional and T-Grain crystals.
    Maybe Robert and Ron can help us here, I will ask them.

Best regards,
    Henning
    Hello Simon,

the question concerning TMY-2 is answered by Robert Shanebrook. His reply to my question (Robert, thanks a lot for your quick reply!):

"In 2007 Kodak made a change in TMY and designated it as TMY-2. The change was to replace the 3D layer with a t-grain layer. So Simon is correct that Kodak TMY-2 is all T-grain now.

I don't know for sure but I expect there are still some color negative films with 3Ds and T-grains. "

O.k., so now we know the source of the confusion: I thought the cross section picture in his book is the current T-Max 400 (TMY-2), but it is indeed the former TMY. Very good to know.

That explains the finer grain and higher resolution of TMY-2 compared to TMY, as well.

Thank you and Robert,
    and best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To repeat some previous comments made in the color forum, I believe that you will find that Kodak Ektar 100, and the Vision family of Motion Picture films use a combined t-grain and 3D (cubic) emulsion. This was announced by Kodak at the introduction of these products.

You will find this information at: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4046/e4046.pdf

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Nope, as far as I can gather from this, what you find of EFKE and ADOX (25, 50, 100) out there is the remaining rolls from the final stock.

The only 25 ISO film I know of that is in production and avaiable is Rollei Ortho 25 ISO , never tried it though, but if it is in the same class as Rollei retro 80s regarding grain and resolution it could be very good. Digitaltruth has some info on it

Found a review here it may be something that the OP is looking for perhaps...?
    I recently developped 6 rolls of Rollei Pan 25 (version 2) which is supposedly the same film as Efke 25. It is pretty fine grain but not as smooth as Agfa 25... I'm pretty happy with it except that as someone already mentionned quality control is pretty poor. In the 3 rolls I've already come across 4 emulsion defects that would have been a major problem if I had been printing in a wet darkroom, thankfully I can 'fix' it after scanning. So while a really nice film, make sure to take several shots just in case...

Several places list this film as being in stock but does anyone know if it discontinued ?

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Rollei PAN 25 is still available. This is really fine grain stuff.

Try one hour stand developing with Rodinal ≈1:100 and Acros ISO 100, Efke 25, Rollei Pan 25, and Ilford PAN F+. All come out great. I like Efke and Rollei PAN but because of price I buy a lot of Acros 100. I haven't experimented much with Kodak TMAX. You can be pretty cavalier with Rodinal storage and it will last forever at full strength. You don't have to mix up and use liters of it. It is dirt cheap. For one hour stand developing I use 4 mL of Rodinal per a roll of 120 or 35mm. I put the 4 mL of Rodinal in whatever volume of distilled water is appropriate for what I'm developing. The beauty of it is you can develop Efke and Acros in the same tank at the same time. The dilution and time are the same for everything. I invert the tank very gently for 30 seconds at the beginning and then I just leave it alone for an hour. I use a water stop bath and then fix. Give it a try. Allegedly minimizing the agitation helps to reduce grain.

I did not have good results with this technique and 400 ISO film. 100 ISO or slower is beautiful with Rodinal stand.
    That's interesting, I"ll have to give stand development a try. How does Acros 100 compare to TMAX 100 ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My best looking negatives are the ones made on Agfa 25 and Tech pan. A few years ago I had done some comparisons between techpan and Ilford 100 just by changing film backs of the same scene, there's just no comparison. The SWC can record an incredible amount of detail and outresolves the Delta film. How does Ilford Pan-F compare to Efke 25 (in terms of tonality grain and sharpness ) ?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin