Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,139   Online: 867

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Recommendation needed - 'best' B&W roll film/developer combo :-)

I realize this is a very subjective question but I haven't shot film in several years and hope someone can bring me up to speed on modern day emulsions and developers

I shoot medium format rollfilm mostly with a SWC, and looking back at some of my old negatives (Ilford Delta 100/D76) they seem a bit grainy...

I'm looking for a low speed / high resolution / fine grained film with rich tonality that I can drum scan to make 40" x 40" carbon pigment prints. Does anyone have a magic combination they are willing to share ?

I've attached a sample of my work to give an idea of what I do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLACE JC.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	854.2 KB 
ID:	60055

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any black & white film will have higher resolution, finer grain and richer tonality with Kodak XTOL replenished. I have used XTOL replenished for years for the fine grain and smoother tonality range. http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...?pq-path=14053, http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...ing/xtol.jhtml, http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...hemicals.jhtml and http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...lmBWmain.jhtml

The following are films available in 120 rolls. Kodak has discontinued Plus X and Panatomic X leaving TMax 100 which does not have the traditional grain. Ilford makes FP4+, ISO 125, and Pan X, ISO 50 are traditional grained films. Ilford's Delta 100 is a non-traditional fine grain film.
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 11-22-2012 at 05:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Prepare to get 1000 different opinions.

Tri-X & Rodinal.
    Definitely won't give you the worlds finest grain, but will be something like the world's sharpest negatives
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Prepare to get 1000 different opinions.

Tri-X & Rodinal.
    Definitely won't give you the worlds finest grain, but will be something like the world's sharpest negatives
    And once you have committed to a film and developer, people will come out of the woodwork to tell you that you made a mistake.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's not going to get much finer grained than TMAX 100/Delta 100 in Xtol. That's your best bet. To be honest, Delta 100/D-76 isn't too far behind. I'd stick with it... Great work by the way!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tmax is probably the most available and finest grain film. With Tmax 100, you can get a nearly grainless image. I processed it with D76 and XTOL and didn't see much difference in results.

I don't know how long ago your neg was made but if it was a long time ago, it is quite possible the formulation may have changed. You might want to try a new roll and if you still feel a need to change. With Tri-X, a roll from 30 years ago look nothing like one from today.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How long is a piece of string? I like Ilford FP4+ in Ilford ID-11 1:3. ID-11 is a good, all-round developer, my results are plenty sharp and detailed with unobtrusive grain. Mind you, I don't make 40" prints. Ilford Perceptol is supposed to give fine grain at the expense of film speed, though i can't quantify that. PAN F+ is a fine grain 50 ISO/ASA emulsion; I should think Pan F+ in Perceptol would give a very fine grain result, but I've never tried it. YMMV, of course.

BTW, I see no grain in your example image, but then it's not a 40" print.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi fatso:

If you want finer grain than Delta 100 and want to maintain a long tonal scale you really have only two options - Fuji Acros and TMax 100, either one developed in XTOL (various dilutions). TMax 100 is slightly finer grained than Fuji Acros (they are both exceedingly fine grained), and has similar tonality to Delta 100 but with a slightly more gradual shoulder. Acros will look similar in the low and mid tones but has very high highlight contrast. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just a characteristic to be aware of. Personally I'd suggest TMax 100.

By the way are you from Montreal?

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    my favorite developer thus far is
    caffenol c, eyeball measured
    and then you spike it with about 10-15cc of
    ansco 130. stand develop your film in it, any film
    for about 25-30 mins and it turns out good ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin