Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,580   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Tri-X 400 expired 1993 - Which ISO?

Hello, Guys. I recently was presented with 40 Tri-X 400 35mm expired in 1993. I dont have much info regarding how they were stored, but Im almost sure they were not kept frozen. I guess they were stored on a shelf in a garage where room temperature ranged from 5 at winter to 35 at summer. They are in their original packing wrapped in plastic in bricks of twenty.

My question is: which ISO should I use? I tried some at 400 ISO and images were so faint that barely could be seen.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoMiglioli View Post
    Hello, Guys. I recently was presented with 40 Tri-X 400 35mm expired in 1993. I dont have much info regarding how they were stored, but Im almost sure they were not kept frozen. I guess they were stored on a shelf in a garage where room temperature ranged from 5 at winter to 35 at summer. They are in their original packing wrapped in plastic in bricks of twenty.

My question is: which ISO should I use? I tried some at 400 ISO and images were so faint that barely could be seen.

Send it all to me and I'll test it ha ha.
    Actually, I suspect it will be pretty fogged and may not be worth the effort. However, to get an exposure index for it, do the simple Zone 1 "exposure index" test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try a roll with a 10 shot set of the same scene with the same lighting. Starting at EI 100 running to 800 in 1/3 stops.

See if you can get workable prints from each frame.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anas Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd go as low as 64.... you could take ic-racer up on the offer, he could tell you the speed. So could I for that matter (but I could only offer confidence within 2/3 stop).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Tri-X 400 expired 1993 - Which ISO?

I've been using about 20 reels of 35mm trix expired in 1981 and rated it at EI50. It works but is quite fogged but I've no idea how it was kept in the past .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

ASA 400 - 1 stop per 10 years in good storage conditions...(55° basement to fridge) from normal radiation/aging So...

ASA400(1993) - EI200(2003) - EI100(2013)

Now you suspect poor conditions so add another stop and that takes you to EI50

So 100 to 50 is your range, others said this but I thought I would add some info/reasoning to that.

I have some tri-x 400 Aero film (aerial film) and did a speed test with 10 frames as mentioned and actually EI25 seemed best, but if I recall it was from the 70's or 80's

Good luck!

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Umm apparently the symbol for "degrees" doesn't translate on the forum, that's what the 55%#$@ whatever it says was suppose to say, 55 degree basement.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you simply develop a roll of unexposed film, you will find background fogging!...lowered contrast, in spite of what might have occurred in changes to inherent film sensitivity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoMiglioli View Post

a couple of years ago i had some tri-x that had expired in 1978 -- i exposed it at asa 400 and developed normally in d-76, 1:1, and it came out a bit base-fogged but otherwise fine, the fog was like a neutral density filter, most of the images scanned just fine.

so shoot a roll and see what you get.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all, guys. I will try 50 and 25 ISO.

Its almost sure Ill get foggy background so I will try to use it in my favor. Which kind of subjects you think the fogged background would help? Portraits? Night shots?

On the other hand If I shoot in a really sunny day with high constrasts from light to shadow areas would the foggy background be less noticed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin