Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,498   Online: 983

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOD 54

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But why does the manufacturer says:

Does it work in Jobo Tanks?

No. And is not designed for rotary systems

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But why does the manufacturer says:

Does it work in Jobo Tanks?

No. And is not designed for rotary systems
    Probably because he's unaware of the older non-rotary Jobo tanks, the centre columns are slightly narrower than the Paterson but I use mine frequently with Paterson reels. Of course these tanks will take the Jobo 5"x4" reels anyway. I have 4 2000 series Jobo tanks and if I needed greater capacity I'd try a MOD 54.

My JOBO 2000 tanks are not designed for rotary processing but the previous owner of my second did use it on a roller, but there's no guarantee the reels will rotate properly which would be the same with a MOD 54 in a Paterson tank.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see your point. You have it about the older Jobo system. (I mixed up System 2000 with System 2500.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There's no advantage, you can do that with any tank.

In addition the MOD 54 ccould be used in some JOBO tanks where there's a a centre column, I use my Paterson System 4 reels in JOBO 2000 series tanks.

Ian
    So run this by me, with a 'rotating tank' how do you do stand development if you don't know where the negative is in the tank in relation to the very small amount of developer? Fill the entire tank with developer?

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    The great advantage of the Paterson/MOD54 setup over rotating tanks or trays is the ability to use semi stand and stand development, and especially with tanning Pyro developers. It gives far more control over highlights and shadows. But yes it does use more liquid, although this is the last consideration on my mind.

Steve
    Unfortunately, this is not true.

You can do stand/semi-stand in any container that will hold the film. Open containers do pose some limitations, based on the oxidation rate of the developer being used.

There is no reason that you can't use the Jobo Expert series for this, nor their 2xxx and 1xxx tanks. All you need to do is put in enough liquid to fill the tubes to above film height.

Jobo makes proprietary plugs for the nozzle these processes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A rotating tank is a tank that rotates. If it does not rotate it is not (used as) a rotating tank. Where have I missed the point? And the point was that a MOD54/Paterson tank can be used to stand develop six sheets of film which a rotating tank (obviously really) cannot. Additionally the use of a tray to stand develop a single sheet of film for maybe an hour also seems impractical given the oxidation, but not impossible, although you can try it, not me.

My original comment was perhaps slightly out of context because rotating tanks hadn't already been mentioned (but had in other threads) with discussion about how little chemistry is used developing 4x5 film, but there are other techniques available using a MOD54. But I did specifically say rotating, and did not allude to the generic use to which a Jobo tank can be put to.

Steve
    Last edited by 250swb; 11-26-2012 at 02:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's no reason what so ever that a rotary tank can't be used for stand or semi-stand development. So your two papragraphs contradict each other.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The MOD 54 is identical in design concept to the Jobo 4x5 processing reels. I have about 4 of these and they can be used for stand, dip and dunk or rotary. I get 6 sheets per holder and run 3 holders at a time for 18 sheets of 4x5 at one crack. This is usually color!

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In the Mod54 reel the sheets can very easily fall out of the holder with the gentle inversion agitation in my experience, they even fall out of one side and go backwards one notch (when originally loaded properly), so I'm hesitant to put more than one sheet on each side.

I hate using the twirl agitation, but it works well for sheets and with this reel, I do slow gentle twists side to side with the paterson agitator stick with this reel, and haven't had problems with it since. Works well with colour.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The MOD 54 is identical in design concept to the Jobo 4x5 processing reels.
    That reel is still/again listed by Jobo: No. 2509n

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin