Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,591   Online: 947

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Books on the chemistry of photography

This is probably a question for Photoengineer or someone else from Kodak/Ilford-can you recommend a book (or books) that cover the detailed chemistry of photographic processes (probably written for those in the industry)? It seems that there are few (if any) modern texts that are available-I'm happy to go looking for older books if needed and am very comfortable with the background in chemistry that would be required.

Thanks!

Alan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How about photographic processing chemistry by L. F. A. Mason and (simpler) the science of photography by H. Baines.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Look at Mees, The Theory of the Photographic Process, it's excellent and it's free! If you feel like spending money and want something more modern, get Haist's books on photographic processing.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mees is free??
    I wonder why I still pay to get my shelves filled...

Edit:
    1st edition; gives me some relief.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Theory of the Photographic Process, Forth Edition, Edited by T.H. James

The First and Second editions were edited by Mees. The First Edition dates back to 1942. Later Editions were 1954, 1966 and 1977.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "Revised Edition" was the last version edited by Mees. After that, Howard James edited the next 2 editions which are listed as authored by Mees and James.

Haist is more complete in many ways compared with other books of this ilk. Go to haistpress.com for ordering information. This is a 2 volume set that outdoes everyone else.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks-getting Mees and Haist!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin