Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,651   Online: 777

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the one, Acufine is my preferred developer for low light situations, I've gone through many, many gallons of it over the past 2 or 3 years.

Delta 3200 however, I would process in DD-X or D76. I personally use D76, and find that the Ilford recommended times are way off. I shoot at 3200 or 6400, and generally process in straight D76 for between 18 and 24 minutes, depending on what the lighting conditions were. It's a very, very low contrast film, so it can really handle some abuse in developing, I rarely blow a highlight so badly that I can't print it back down, to the point where I have started a roll in my Hasselblad or Rolleiflex the night before in pitch black, pushing to 6400 or 12500, and then finished it the next day in cloudless mid day sunlight.

Having printed negatives from both sides of the roll, I really don't have many complaints.

For example: I thought this was Plus-X in my Hasselblad, I was a bit surprised when a roll of D3200 fell into my hand when I reloaded the film back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7369533702_a292718498_z.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	60180
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Its hard to find scientific literature fast on the web but there is no evidence of injury to babies eyes from flash photography and neither pediatricians nor hospitals forbid it. A bad reference but it is a start
    http://www.richardbarryphotography.com/flash-baby-phot
    Ever see a neonate scream in pain waving its arms in response to a flash? It is just plain cruel!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Generally with Acufine or any kind of push developer for that matter you want to target your negs to print nicely at grade 3, so they'll be a little on the thin side for grade 2, but that helps keep the grain under control.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations. life is going to be quite exciting for you and yours next spring and summer.

OK, here's the definitive advice - Delta 3200 rated at 1600, developed in DDX, at the time recommended for 3200 rated film. A nice fast lens, on your 35mm camera. You might want to pack your MF and bring it along, but the ease of use of a 35mm trumps the big negatives. You will undoubtedly be excited and emotional. The MF can be used once things settle, or once the family gets home. You will be dealing with dodging health care workers, trying to catch definitive moments, and varying light levels - it is quite bright on the infant warmer, the scale is usually in the spill of light from the warmer, but the bed where mom will be cuddling babies will be less well lit. As you don't know if the birth will happen at 2 in the afternoon or 2 in the morning, it is hard to predict the room light. There is always the possibility with twins that one or both babies might need to spend time in the nursery, and you will be taking the first photos of them in there.
    Flash will not cause permanent damage to the babys' eyes, but is a rude and nasty thing to do to a newborn.

Why is this the definitive advice? Because I'm a midwife.

Have fun!
    Last edited by sly; 11-25-2012 at 11:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whatever format you choose, a monopod may be a good idea to give you an extra stop without getting in the way as much as a tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Do not use flash or a strobe! Available light photography only. Neonates' eyes cannot handle the bright flashes which cause pain and risks damage!
    Source material?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Source material?
    Aside from post #22?

At Kodak, this subject came up often and there were numerous articles cited. I suggest that you go to a university med school library like Johns Hopkins, UCLA or USC and ask at the desk.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Aside from post #22?
    Yes.

I haven't had an issue, hadn't even heard of the problem until this thread, and I've used flash with some very, very, young babies, including my own.

So, yes, I need more than your word. I will ask at the next opportunity as you suggest.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Congratulations. life is going to be quite exciting for you and yours next spring and summer.
    Thank you very much Sly!

Thank you to everyone for the advice! I ordered some Acufine, DD-X, Tri-x ans Delta 3200..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I took some great photos of my daughter with (bounced) flash. She didn't do more than blink at f/5.6-light (which gets you f/11 to f/16 on TMY2), let alone thrash around screaming. Would you be terrified to carry a baby past a window with sun coming through it? Because just one second in full sun is 800x more exposure than received from a bounced flash set to f/5.6.

I have some wonderful photos taken with my RZ and bounced or softbox flash from her first week, though mostly I used digital (for the high ISO, sensor stabilisation and 85mm f/1.4) and didn't bring the RZ into theatre.

Minimising light in order to minimise startling is a worthy goal so in answer to the OP, I will suggest TMY2 in Xtol 1+1 to get EI800 maybe EI1600; it will give you a clean 16x20" print from 6x7. The kid will probably sleep 80% of the time for the first couple days, so go ahead and make longer exposures on a tripod in that period. You can do good lighting of sleeping babies with a 40W bedside lamp...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin