Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,707   Online: 704
      
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 121
  1. #91
    Toffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Point Pelee, ON, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,796
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    That's reminded me of my Dad in the 1960's experimenting with his Exakta, extension bellows and various old magnifying glasses
    and bits of lenses taped to the front. Some really interesting and different results. He would have been delighted and amused to think that he was an early lomographer!
    Oohh... am I a lomographer?? 5x7 paper neg with a $0.99 magnifying glass lens.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    BTW, welcome to APUG, Noble. Here you will find many talented and knowledgeable photographers who are an invaluable resource in questions spanning the gamut of the analog experience. This is also a tight-knit community with a strong sense of "got your back"; personal attacks are frowned upon and disparaging remarks earn few friends. I hope your stay here is enjoyable.

    Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

    Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

    http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com


  2. #92
    Newt_on_Swings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,800
    Henning those are great points actually that I had failed to think about when posting earlier. R+D is quite expensive, and to have physical stores and staff is a cost as well. I dunno, maybe Lomography one day may take up not just creating cameras, but maybe new films, that would be great.

  3. #93
    AgX
    AgX is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,506
    I really like the idea behind some of Lomography.com cameras.

    But just read this at their site:

    "Does the size of 110 film affect its quality?”

    Generally, this doesn’t just depend on the film, but also on the camera you use, laboratory conditions and processing. Having said that, film production has evolved a lot since the launch of the original 110 Pocket films and new 110 films such as the Lomography Orca, use equally fine film materials as other larger format films. Therefore, you shouldn’t be able to notice any difference in quality at all.
    What should the uninitiated reader understand from this? Am I over critical?

  4. #94
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,216
    Images
    225

    What Does "Lomo" Mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Oohh... am I a lomographer?? 5x7 paper neg with a $0.99 magnifying glass lens.

    [IMG][/IMG]

    BTW, welcome to APUG, Noble. Here you will find many talented and knowledgeable photographers who are an invaluable resource in questions spanning the gamut of the analog experience. This is also a tight-knit community with a strong sense of "got your back"; personal attacks are frowned upon and disparaging remarks earn few friends. I hope your stay here is enjoyable.

    Cheers,
    Tom
    Cool! I approve, in going to be a lomographer now too! In fact if you count my Polaroid TIP back attempts that should count too...


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  5. #95
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,216
    Images
    225

    What Does "Lomo" Mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I really like the idea behind some of Lomography.com cameras.

    But just read this at their site:



    What should the uninitiated reader understand from this? Am I over critical?
    Considering most "lomographers" won't be printing larger than 8x10 I think it's ok to say they aren't being super inaccurate... In that context...

    Obviously it's not correct but for practical uses its ok.


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southern USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,769
    Lomo is Russian for gotcha.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

    ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Railway man and Chris, that sounds fun I'm trying it!

    Railway man, you weren't at Dwayne's in 2010 were you?


    ~Stone
    Sadly, no, never been to Dwaynes. But some of my last reels of Kodachrome might have been going through the machine when you were there!

  8. #98
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,216
    Images
    225

    What Does "Lomo" Mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Sadly, no, never been to Dwaynes. But some of my last reels of Kodachrome might have been going through the machine when you were there!



    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #99
    Brian C. Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    495
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    13
    What does "LOMO" mean?

    To me?

    Cheap plastic camera. Lightweight. It has limitations. No worries.

    I bought a Holga years back when it was something like $15. I'm still using the same Holga. Yeah, I have other cameras. I have Pen-F to Toyo 8x10. What do I like to have with me when I'm on a bicycle? The Holga.

    It weighs 8oz. I don't care if it bangs against the bike as I'm riding. I don't care if it gets stolen or ruined or broken. It has one speed and one aperture, and I can live with that. I patched the light leak holes with black tape. If I run a lot of film through it, my thumb starts to get raw from the sharp edges on the winding wheel.

    Why do I keep using it? The most important reason is that I never think to myself, "should I photograph that?" I just do it. I don't worry about it. I go through roll after roll after roll. And I don't care.

    I don't photograph like that with my other cameras. Except maybe my Pen-F, which I haven't been using because it needs a CLA. Anyways, with my 8x10 I carry with me 6 holders, so I get 12 shots, and that's it. There's a lot more shots than that riding my bicycle. Really, there are. And it's harder to pack the 8x10. So with the 8x10 or other cameras, for some reason I get into a rationing mentality. I need to ration the shots. Sure, I have to do it with sheet film. And for some reason, I also do it with my other good cameras.

    But not with the Holga.

    I release cares and concerns with the Holga. They are set aside. They don't matter. I accept the results for what they are. What comes, comes. What gets on the film, is what's there. That's all. That's all that there needs to be.

  10. #100
    mfohl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Westerville, Ohio
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    382
    Images
    54

    Still Lomo

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    What does "LOMO" mean?

    To me?

    Cheap plastic camera. Lightweight. It has limitations. No worries.

    I bought a Holga years back when it was something like $15. I'm still using the same Holga. Yeah, I have other cameras. I have Pen-F to Toyo 8x10. What do I like to have with me when I'm on a bicycle? The Holga.

    It weighs 8oz. I don't care if it bangs against the bike as I'm riding. I don't care if it gets stolen or ruined or broken. It has one speed and one aperture, and I can live with that. I patched the light leak holes with black tape. If I run a lot of film through it, my thumb starts to get raw from the sharp edges on the winding wheel.

    Why do I keep using it? The most important reason is that I never think to myself, "should I photograph that?" I just do it. I don't worry about it. I go through roll after roll after roll. And I don't care.

    I don't photograph like that with my other cameras. Except maybe my Pen-F, which I haven't been using because it needs a CLA. Anyways, with my 8x10 I carry with me 6 holders, so I get 12 shots, and that's it. There's a lot more shots than that riding my bicycle. Really, there are. And it's harder to pack the 8x10. So with the 8x10 or other cameras, for some reason I get into a rationing mentality. I need to ration the shots. Sure, I have to do it with sheet film. And for some reason, I also do it with my other good cameras.

    But not with the Holga.

    I release cares and concerns with the Holga. They are set aside. They don't matter. I accept the results for what they are. What comes, comes. What gets on the film, is what's there. That's all. That's all that there needs to be.

    Just out of curiosity, approximately how many of those images do you print and/or exhibit? I have exhibited some of my Holga images, and I have printed some up to 11x14. I average about 1 printable image per roll of 12. Which is only slightly less than with my Mamiya TLR.

    Cheers,

    -- Mark



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin