Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,140   Online: 1023

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's like Cholo but for image quality
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Lomo store is making it easy for buyers to buy all they need in one hit; ($26.00 for a roll of expired Agfacolor 160 (12 years) could be an expensive experiment. . . . . )

http://thailand.shop.lomography.com/...60-120-expired

The sardine can camera is also rather neat:

http://thailand.shop.lomography.com/...metal-editions

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a few local places that sell lomography stuff. Some of them are labs and serious film outlets, and I'm quite confident that they also offer advice that would aid customers in moving from lower quality cameras to cameras that offer more control. I think that those who seek and/or use that advice have potential to strongly support the continued existence of film.

Other sources for lomography stuff are akin to gift stores. I have concerns about their contribution.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If an interested party walks into the serious film lab/store, and they are embraced with a welcoming attitude...well, then, maybe they become another "supporter of the continued existence of film." I like to think that the buzz will get more people interested and excited, and along the way we'll get more converts.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DSLR View Post
    LOMO makes their own film, these "hipsters" may not be saving film.
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Lomography do not make own films. At their best they offer custom conversions.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSLR View Post
    I don't see where you are hinting it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Does "Lomo" Mean?

It means more volume for the beleaguered manufacturers of photographic film.

It's just a funny spelling of the term for that...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What the Lomography company does is offering kind of package.
    In times when film cameras, except for single-use ones, long have been wiped off the shelves, in some cities you can enter a shop with all these weird looking cameras and accessories and get all that fancy stuff.
    The alternative of some 2nd hand film cameras sitting on the shelves of a camera store may not even exist in those cities.
    There still would be thrift-shops and fleamarkets. But there the uninitiated would not even know what type of film that camera takes.

I got my Diana, still in box with bulb flash, at a fleamarket for 4€. But that was the only sample I saw in years. And I still would have to look for the bulbs. And had to clean the flash compartment from the residues of leaked batteries.

In a large city nearby I meanwhile can get a re-made Diana with kind of ever-ready electronic flash for about 20x the price I paid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see some nerves have been touched here ...

I don't own a Lomo. But I did process yet another roll of film from my Holga. Along with a roll from my Nikon FM2. And I did some digital stuff over the weekend too. All of these are components of the medium.

Keep shooting. And don't feel superior.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a mixed opinion of the Lomo craze. I'm very glad it's here because it challenges the modern digital* hegemony that decrees that the subject of a photograph MUST be pin-sharp, and provides a small increase in film and processing sales. It may also provide a spur for these 'hipsters' to buy a more serious film camera and discover all that the medium has to offer. The only downside I see is the possible perception that ALL film photography is blurry, has wacky colours, vignetting, light leaks and other technical faults. Some folk just love to make false assumptions based on limited evidence... ;-)

*I'm well aware of Pictorialism, Linked Ring etc. but that's another thread.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    The only downside I see is the possible perception that ALL film photography is blurry, has wacky colours, vignetting, light leaks and other technical faults. Some folk just love to make false assumptions based on limited evidence... ;-)
    That's my main problem with it
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin