Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,004   Online: 1035

Shooter
    35mm

DIY ORWO Processing

Hi,
    I've had the below post on the cinematography forum but have had no response. Just wondering if any folk here might have some thoughts about this.....

I'm about to try my hand at tank developing some B&W Orwo (UN54 & N74) 16mm.
    The only info I have about times comes from the Massive Development Chart on the net which lists times for 35mm still film.
    Can I use those times for 16mm film or do I need to alter those times at all?

BTW, I plan to use Fomadon R09 as the developer at a dilution of 1:40. The MassDevChart doesn't list times for this developer but it does for Rodinal which is 1:50. I was told Fomadon is similar to Rodinal and to dilute a bit less than the recommended for Rodinal.
    Does this stand to reason for those with more experience?

Thanks,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it were me, I would take a few feet and test the developer/time/results before committing the whole roll. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you mean reversal process?

Shooter
    35mm
    Not reversal. Camera Neg.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    If it were me, I would take a few feet and test the developer/time/results before committing the whole roll. JMHO
    Thanks Fotch. I guess I'll do that.
    Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pete,

I have not developed 16mm Orwo in Rodinal. But have run 16mm UN54 through Xtol, D76, Caffenol and D23 without issue as B&W neg film. For Xtol and D76 I use 7mins at 20°C, in D23 I use 12mins at 22°C and in caffenol I use 12mins at 24°C. Why is my temperature scale increasing you ask? Well it is because the darkroom was getting warmer as I moved into summer from winter and that was the ambient temp in there as i was working my way through my developers.

The Orwo makes a good B&W reversal 16m cine film by the way, but I use different developers for that process.

As earlier postings indicate, grab a small strip of film and test to be sure.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin