Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,117   Online: 865

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

A newbie question on paper....

I just setup my 1st ever DR, and folks let me tell you I love everything about printing. I can't make myself get out of it, to do my day to day editing ....

Right now, my experience with different papers and developer is quite limited. As of now, I'm using Arista developer, and am playing with some Ilford Multigrade papers. One of these is a RC glossy type paper, and I really like it. The other is more of a Fiber multigrade paper by Ilford. I bought (2) 100 sheet boxes of it from a forum member.

My problem "kind of", is I'm having a problem keeping it from curling quite a bit during the drying process. I don't have a print dryer. I tried to hang them at first, now I'm letting them dry flat on paper towels. I have (3) 5x7's right now sandwiched inside a Vogue magazine to see if I can minimize the curling.

Of course, they may be a mute point if I ever decide to frame and mat any of these.

How does one minimize the curling effect?

Thanks for any guidance...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dry them face down on stretched fiberglass screens. There will still be a bit of curl, but a few days under heavy books should flatten them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I place the paper between two sheets of blotter paper and this does a pretty good job IMO of keeping the edges from curling too bad. My blotter sheets came spiral bound, but I separated them, so I simply lay one blotter sheet on a table, lay down the print, put another blotter sheet on top of the print, works great for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I guess I could have read all 16 pages of the sticky above LOL

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...aper-flat.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Try this little trick. When the Fibre print has been washed, wipe all the surface water of, both back and front and leave to dry. There will be a little curling along the edges during this process.

Now take a dry towel and put it on a flat work surface and then lay the on it, print face down. Get a straight edge (Ruler) of at least the same length as the longest side of your print and place it on the back of the print about 1" away from one end. The print longest side should be towards you. If you are right handed put it on the right side.

Now take hold of the edge of the paper and holding it tight and at the same time move the ruler to the left (or right) and pull the print upwards at approx a 45 degree angle. Then turn the print 180 degrees and do it the other way. This is guaranteed to get rid of 95% of the wrinkles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got some small painted refrigerator magnets and literally put the prints on the door of the fridge with eight each. Still curls some but more manageable.

After drying, pressing with books or whatever helps.

The curl is a pain, that and the extra rinsing and my inability to see a significant positive difference between my framed fiber and RC prints led me to give up on fiber except for the leftovers I have.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I gave up on fiber-paper, just couldn't get them flat (RC-flat), struggled to mount them on a board to really force the prints to stay forever flat too.

RC is always flat, looks nice too, but I do like the various tones I get with the FB-papers I've tried......too bad it was such a dang struggle, curly prints cannot be hanged in my living room, people would think I am crazy

(I am, but that's beside the point )
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I squeegee the front and back of my prints and dry them face UP on fiberglass window screening. I found that one of my favorite papers, Fomatone, gets marked from the screen. I'm not sure why people say that face down is better. Then store them under some books for a week or so. If you can find a used mounting press locally (they are heavy!), they make fast work of flattening a print....plus you can dry mount if you wish.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are cheap blotter books you can get for drying that work pretty well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I simply hang my prints up to dry by the corner of the print - no sqeegeeing no expensive equipment, they all (rc & fb) come out reasonably flat. I'm pretty new myself to DR but some guy online who knew what he was doing said that was the plainview secret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin