Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,891   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Using Jobo 2500 series tanks for inversion processing.

I have a good number of 2500 series tanks and reels both 35/120 and 4x5. I have in the past used these tanks on my CPA-2 processor as rotary tanks.

I recently have tried and liked the Thornton two bath developer, but used Stainless tanks and reels to process 35mm.

On Sunday I tried this developer with some 4x5 that I shot and decided to use the 2500 series tank and 2509n reels for inversion processing. I was able to remove the cog on one of the lids and have the large orange lid for this tank. I reasoned that if I was using the tank as an inversion method I would not need the black plastic end caps for the reel and left them off. As the Thornton two bath is not critical for agitation, my plan was to do a few inversion in the beginning and then just gently spin the tank back and forth a few times each minute. It seemed to work OK, but a couple of the sheets moved during processing and where the end touched the other sheet I seemed to have a mark. I was thinking that the black end caps would impede the flow of developer with my regimen of spin agitation. I know that the caps are very useful for rotary processing with the 2509n reels.

How do other people use these tanks for inversion processing of 4x5 film and for that matter 35 and 120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 2500 tank that I've only ever used for inversion. I use the 2509n insert for 6 sheets of 4x5 and fill the tank to cover the film when the tank is upright. The top of the tank has the red cap that the smaller Jobo tanks have, and I'm not familiar with the rotation hardware at all. I have never had a sheet dislodge, but I tend to agitate rather gently. I have not used the "paddles" that came with the 2509n.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because the JOBO 2502 reels have a possibility for 35mm, 127 and 120/220 rolfilm I sometimes use it for 127 rollfilm (inverse) processing. Apart from the big volume it works in the same way as a 15xx tank.
    For the rest I am using the 25xx tanks for rotary development on the CPA-2 with elevator.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your replies. Anyone else out there use the Jobo tanks for inversion?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A while back I set up a friend with 2500 tanks and 4x5 with the intent on hand processing. We used HC110, and the extra volume of the tank was no issue because we used it one-shot and just diluted it more, but used the same amount of HC110 concentrate that we would have used in a smaller tank.

I'm not following you on the 'black plastic end cap.' Obviously without the light trap and center column the film will be spoiled when you take the rubber lid off to change the chemicals.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    A while back I set up a friend with 2500 tanks and 4x5 with the intent on hand processing. We used HC110, and the extra volume of the tank was no issue because we used it one-shot and just diluted it more, but used the same amount of HC110 concentrate that we would have used in a smaller tank.

I'm not following you on the 'black plastic end cap.' Obviously without the light trap and center column the film will be spoiled when you take the rubber lid off to change the chemicals.
    I imagine he is talking about the side clips (no idea what they are really called) for the 2509n reels. I imagine they are not needed for inversion processing. But I did use them the few times I used the Jobo tank for inversion of 4x5 film. Seemed to work fine, but uses a lot of developer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I imagine he is talking about the side clips (no idea what they are really called) for the 2509n reels.
    Baffle plates (at a guess).

In answer to the original question, I use the 15xx tank for inversion processing, but I find the sealing isn't as good as some other tanks. as a result, processing can get a little messy. Haven't used the 25xx tank for inversion processing due to the high volume of developer required, prefering to use a Paterson Orbital which can use 100ml or less (but I usually use 300ml).

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I imagine he is talking about the side clips (no idea what they are really called) for the 2509n reels. I imagine they are not needed for inversion processing. But I did use them the few times I used the Jobo tank for inversion of 4x5 film. Seemed to work fine, but uses a lot of developer.
    I think that the OP was referring to the 2 "paddles" that direct liquid into the reel's core area (probably what you're referring to as well).

I also think that removing them is incorrect. These paddles also help to locate the reel within the tank. A quick check with mine reveals that removing them leaves the reel sloppy in the tank; allowing it to move around within the tank, and possibly causing the sheets to move. By design, the films' stability is highest when the force comes in a radial direction (around the circumference of the reel). If this not centred, the liquids can cause the edges and/or corners of the film to be lifted within their track/groove. With enough non-uniformed radial force (such as would be caused by an out of balance reel moving within the tank whilst agitation/spinning is occurring), I can imagine the film could be fully dislodged from this groove.

As for the paddles' use in inversion, there is no difference in their application/intention if used horizontally (rolling) or vertically (inversion), for as long as they're immersed, they will direct the liquids in to the centre in both cases. I would use them for both so as to maximise the refreshing of the developer on the inside sheets.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post

I also think that removing them is incorrect. These paddles also help to locate the reel within the tank. A quick check with mine reveals that removing them leaves the reel sloppy in the tank; allowing it to move around within the tank, and possibly causing the sheets to move. By design, the films' stability is highest when the force comes in a radial direction (around the circumference of the reel). If this not centred, the liquids can cause the edges and/or corners of the film to be lifted within their track/groove. With enough non-uniformed radial force (such as would be caused by an out of balance reel moving within the tank whilst agitation/spinning is occurring), I can imagine the film could be fully dislodged from this groove.
    Once the lid is on, the funnel will hold down the center core, and the reel will no longer move.

The 4X5 retaining panels are mostly designed to prevent the sheets of rolling off the reel during high speed rotation.
    In the past 10 years of using 2509 reels i have never used the panels (older reels did not have them, and as a habit my newer ones dident either...). I have never seen a sheet dislodged in any process i have run, manual or machine.

Inversion is totally possible with the multitank 2, but uses as noted above almost 1.3 Liters of chemistry. If that amount works for you with dilution or stock there is no reason not to do that, and many schools around the world teach that system of processing using the 2520 system tank.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Robert Ley;1424809]I have a good number of 2500 series tanks and reels both 35/120 and 4x5. I have in the past used these tanks on my CPA-2 processor as rotary
    On Sunday I tried this developer with some 4x5 that I shot and decided to use the 2500 series tank and 2509n reels for inversion processing. I was able to remove the cog on one of the lids and have the large orange lid for this

Hi

I recently got the jobo 2509n got 4x5 development accidentally fit in the cog I did not know that it's only used with the jobo automatic machines. How did you manage to get the cog out I don't want to damage the lid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin