Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,334   Online: 701

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I once heard some speculation that this could also be caused by x-ray fogging from airports. I was wondering if this is possibly another avenue for the printing to be marking the film?

My thinking is that it is not the case, because unless the ink has properties that are reflective or absorptive to x-rays, the ink areas would look exactly the same as the paper areas on the film. While I suppose it is possible that the ink has a distinctive X-ray characteristic, I would think that the manufacturers would avoid this if at all possible...

Anyone know if there is any truth to x-ray fogging of this manner?

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had all of my film hand checked, so it wouldn't apply in my case.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    <There is a faint imprint of the numbers on the back side of the paper backing on the developed film.
    Has anyone ever seen anything like this? How could it happen?>

My students and I do a LOT of Holga work. It is not uncommon to see it with Holga. I usually just means the camera has a light leak. You might think about having your camera seals checked.
    Pity the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake night after night wondering if there is a dog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomHarrop
    <There is a faint imprint of the numbers on the back side of the paper backing on the developed film.
    Has anyone ever seen anything like this? How could it happen?>

My students and I do a LOT of Holga work. It is not uncommon to see it with Holga. I usually just means the camera has a light leak. You might think about having your camera seals checked.
    A light leak is the first thought that crossed my mind but for various reasons I have pretty much eliminated this possibility. For one thing the camera is a late model Fuji GS690III that I have used for several years with never a hint of any kind of fogging. And, of some fifteen rolls of film that I developed taken with this camera durung this particular session only two rolls had the problem, and both were Ilford FP4+. Thirteen other rolls, including nine rolls of the faster HP5+, showed no signs at all of a light leak.

Sandy

I've just e-mailed Ilford in UK referencing this thread. If they answer I'll let you know.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had this problem with old Pan-F from Ilford.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin