Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,693   Online: 1204

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Paper Imprint on Developed 120 Film

I developed a few rolls of Ilford FP4+ film today and experienced something I have never seen before. There is a faint imprint of the numbers on the back side of the paper backing on the developed film. It is fairly faint, but at the same time there is a kind of paper texture over all of the film, but most visible in the areas of low density.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? How could it happen? The paper backing must be light tight so I don't see how the imprint could be caused by fogging, and there was none in any event because except for the imprint the negatives appear to be very well exposed and developed, with a very low B+F.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy, there's a similar question on photo.net. You may want to check it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From my experience in the printing industry I would guess the paper backing may have been rushed through its production and the imprint is caused by "ghosting" or a vapor imprint from the solvents in the inks used to cover the paper. It may well be that excess solvent also had an effect on the film itself too, penetrating into the film and changing its permeability to water.
    Gary Beasley

It happened with me some years ago (FP4 also) . Ilford answered it was some problem with back paper used. I've seen some others complaining about that during recent years. It means, unfortunately, that Ilford was not able to solve this until now ( poor quality control ). It will be good, at least, to email Ilford about that.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    Sandy, there's a similar question on photo.net. You may want to check it out.

Jim,

I looked but could not find the question. Can you give me the URL?

Sandy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had it happen to me! Both rolls of Fuji I shot in San Francisco back in August didn't roll tight, one totally didn't even come out and the other had tons of paper imprinted all over it. I figured it happened because of the improper rolling allowing light to expose through somehow.

Examples:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sf1.jpg   sf3.jpg  

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sandy,

it is a known problem with many film brands. According to Matthias Schneege, a german Ilford rep it usually happens with outdated -read: long stored- film and it is a reaction of the emulsion with the ink used in printing.

Odd enough, Ilford uses only a very faint printing on their backing papers, impossible to use with old "red window" folders... :-(
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy, try: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00AKh8.

I don't think this gentleman has the same problem as you, but it might be worth a look-see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If that URL doesn't work, the question was posted by Larry Yungk, Dec. 5, '04 and was titled, "Numbers Burned Into Efke Film". I found it under the catagory of "beginner questions".

Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    I developed a few rolls of Ilford FP4+ film today and experienced something I have never seen before. There is a faint imprint of the numbers on the back side of the paper backing on the developed film. It is fairly faint, but at the same time there is a kind of paper texture over all of the film, but most visible in the areas of low density.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? How could it happen? The paper backing must be light tight so I don't see how the imprint could be caused by fogging, and there was none in any event because except for the imprint the negatives appear to be very well exposed and developed, with a very low B+F.

Sandy
    There are two ways this happens. One is light burn through when the opaque paper backing is weak. Of course this only happens if you have an old camera with a red window. The other possibility, which is more common, is bleed through. This is a chemical reaction as indicated above. Usually the manufacturers pick up on the flaw and do not ship out these films. However we've heard of this several times in the last year with several brands including Ilford.

The Efke problem on the Photo.net post was light leak through on a red window camera due to a weak backing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin