Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,720   Online: 799

Thread: Satin Paper

Shooter
    35mm RF

Satin Paper

Hi all I'm new to the forum and new to the darkroom. Apologies if this has been asked before. I've been using different types of ilford multigrade. I'm currently trying out the satin paper.

I'm quite surprised about how different this paper looks. Does satin paper have a special purpose or is it supposed to be used in a certain way.

Regards
    Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Satin Paper

No, it's just an alternate finish, between matte finish and full-on smooth glossy. Depending on the manufacturer and the exact finish, it can be called satin, semi-matte, or pearl. I like it because it gives just a bit of shimmer and isn't as potentially distracting like glossy.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The surface of a paper however is of influence to the maximum contrast available. A satin finish will lower the max. density by adding diffuse reflection of the lighting to the max. density of the emulsion proper. In contrast a high-gloss paper will have that max. density unchanged under optimum lighting but will lose that for an even bigger part under specular lighting.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Satin Paper

Thanks for the response guys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Satin paper can be really nice for portraits.

Not too long ago, there were many more paper surface choices available, and photographers would routinely match the surface to the type of subject.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I love satin paper, I always heard people dog on it but I tried some and really felt it's reflectivity was perfect. Kinda semi-gloss. Great for portraits as MattKing said.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The MG Art 300 is also worth a try, amazingly beautiful finish in my opinion. Reminds me of albumen prints.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin