Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,477   Online: 1097

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdoNork View Post
    I has been told that Dektol dies very fast at work dilutions, isn't it?
    This has not been my experience. However any developer will change as you approach its recommended useful capacity. This is why it is important to keep track of how much paper has been passed thru it.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    has not been my experience with dektol either. i change it when it turns dark brown or starts to get smelly.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you talking about long tray life or long life of the stock solution? Most stock solutions keep pretty well. I use Defender 54-D, and it keeps for up to 6 months in a partially filled bottle. Ansco 130 has a good reputation, but it seems to fade after about three months. I suspect D-73 (Dektol) is about as good. Formulary BW-65, which is an Ansco 130 variant, divides the developing agent from the alkali to achieve long life (about four to five months, in my experience).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a student i don't have the time to develop all the time and i sometimes go without using chemicals for months. I bought the Moersch and love it. My year old bottle is still kickin!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    You might consider using one of Ryuji Suzuki's paper developer formulas, DS-14 or DS-15. He used them for several weeks in a slot processor so they appear long lived. Both are based on ascorbic acid and use Dimezone S or Metol as the other developing agent. The formulas should be in the APUG archives.
    I'm not sure that DS-15 is so long lived. In this text that I copied from his web site before it disappeared, he seems to be saying that DS-14 is a better keeper, given that it's suitable for the Nova which most people don't like emptying and refilling too often:

<start quote>
    DS-14 is an excellent standard print developer. It is a modern formulation using safer alternatives to hydroquinone, and it performs like classic standard print developers. This developer is recommended for users who use Kodak Dektol, Kodak D-72, AGFA Neutol Plus (discontinued), Ilford Multigrade Developer, and other standard print developers.

DS-14 is suitable for processing in tray, tank and Nova slot processors, and standard developing time is 1.5 to 2 minutes. DS-14 can be replenished by top-off method. Use DS-14 itself, minus potassium bromide, as the replenisher. If colder tone is desired, 0.05g to 0.3g benzotriazole can be
    added to DS-14.

DS-15 is suitable for tray processing, and processing time varies with paper stock. The bromide in DS-15 can be increased or decreased for desired result.
    <end quote>

I mix Ilford ID-78 for use in my Nova and it seems to last well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin