Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,440   Online: 704

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Looking for a DIY long lasting paper developer

Hello:

I have been reading some APUG threads and it looks like what I'm looking for is ANSCO 130, but here in EU glycin price is a nono.

I have been suggested MOERSCH ECO 4812 and it meets too the requirements, but I prefer the DIY alternative, if the is one.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you concerned about the capacity of the working solution or its useful life or the keeping properties of the stock solution?

Ansco 130 is a nice developer but I don't think that its advantages compensate for the difficulty and price in obtaining Glycin.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 11-29-2012 at 10:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, useful life of working solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am based in Ireland, and I get glycin from Photographers Formulary, without any difficulties. The remaining ingredients are easier to source locally, but you might consider the simplicity of adding a few items to a US purchase, if it makes no difference to shipping costs.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might consider using one of Ryuji Suzuki's paper developer formulas, DS-14 or DS-15. He used them for several weeks in a slot processor so they appear long lived. Both are based on ascorbic acid and use Dimezone S or Metol as the other developing agent. The formulas should be in the APUG archives.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 11-29-2012 at 01:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also consider looking at Patrick (Gadjet) Gainer's past posts on phenidone and vitamin C and TEA. Getting TEA may be a challenge in th EU though.

They don't need to be long lasting in working form, because they are kind of like an HC 110 film developer syrup , but are a paper developer syrup also.

I mixed it up a few years ago, and used it first on film - nice looking negs- and then varriedthe alkalinity and used almost the same stuff to devlop prints
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have had good luck with Dimezone/Phenidone and Ascorbic Acid developers in the last few years. I mix my own but there is a formula for E-72 on the jackspc's site- http://www.jackspcs.com/pde72.htm which looks reasonably alike to the Suzuki developers mentioned above.

I use more carbonate, and Benzotriazole in place of KBr. Mix the Dimezone/Phenidone in Propylene Glycol to make it easier to measure. 10g goes a long way. I have read that Dimezone lasts longer in solution for what it is worth. I have gone more than a few months without printing and a half full container of used developer was still fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have no problems getting any compound glycin aside. Also, I have equipment to measure very tiny amounts of solids and liquids.
    The key is find a developer with a working solution that keeps properties for 5 or 6 months. I will be making 3 litre batches and I don't want to waste it.
    I will take a look at the phenidone and ascorbic acid approach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    try a DIYformula for dektol aka d72!it lsts forever and 90 days.
    Attached Files
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I has been told that Dektol dies very fast at work dilutions, isn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin