Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,921   Posts: 1,556,576   Online: 1220

Shooter
    35mm RF

Photo paper and airport scanners

As I mentioned in another thread, I am trying to buy some Slavich paper in Moscow, where my sister lives and can send some of it to me in NY with the next friend travelling.

However, I am concerned about putting it into checked luggage. The airport security scanners do fog film. Any experience with paper, or perhaps a recipe to protect it? Taking it in the carry on bag may be a bit too much to ask.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't put any emulsion into checked luggage. Even if you put it into one of those film protector bags, if the X-ray machine can't see through it, airport security staff may open your luggage and take it out of the bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...send some of it to me in NY...
    There is no paper available in NY that could be a substitute? B&H lists 892 Items under Photographic Paper.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    There is no paper available in NY that could be a substitute? B&H lists 892 Items under Photographic Paper.
    The short answer is no. That is, of course there is Ilford, but at about 3 times the price, and the texture is not the same.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Read this thread at photo.net. I've read Ilford's report on the test with paper somewhere but I can't find it anymore. I hand carry my paper in a plastic bag and have it go through the carry-on luggage scanner. Works fine.

You can try the mail route. I've mail ordered paper from the US to Canada and I'm pretty sure it went on a plane. The paper was fine on arrival. Ask your sister to mail you a small (cheap) pack of paper and test it when it arrives. If its fogged than there's no big loss.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin