Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,059   Online: 1126

Shooter
    Medium Format

Recommend a Developer w/ Long (3 wks) Working Solution Lifetime

Hello,

I have an 8x10 Nova slot processor (each slot 1 liter) that I'd like to keep full of a working solution of B&W developer to process a few sheets a day of 4x5 B&W sheet film over Christmas vacation.

I have already HC 110, Rodinol and a couple of types of Ilford and Kodak powder developers (ID11, D76, Microdol-X).

Which of these (feel free to recommend other - although I tried Diafine once - not too keen on it) that will keep for a long time (3 weeks) in working strength and still be reliable?

Thanks in advance.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like TMax; not as 'syrupy' as HC 110, pours well and mixes easily, not much different than mixing D76 1:1, just a different ratio. Doesn't matter what developer you use; there is going to be progressive oxidation and loss of energy, from my experience. Find one that mixes easily and quickly (DDX is another) and mix fresh.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you're right FRED, I should just mix it (the HC 110) up fresh.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recommend a Developer w/ Long (3 wks) Working Solution Lifetime

D-76 should work.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I used D76 for years (not the same batch) in deep tanks with floating lids. The slot processor would just be a smaller volume than the five litre tanks in the lab. There was a replenisher used in those days and with a high volume of film the tanks got refilled only a couple of times a year, but replacing a small amount of dev every few sheets would work reasonably well as an imprecise alternative to lengthening the dev time. Remember that four sheets of 4x5 is the same-ish area as a 135 or 120 roll, for time adjustments. An alternative would be using a slosher in trays, but there is more setup and breakdown time involved then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the floating lids, D-76 should be fine. If you're worried, you might consider augmenting the floating lid with some cling wrap over the top. As Martin states, you will need to pay attention to how much film you've run through that liter and replenish as you go along.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They say Harvey's (or whosever name you want to put on it) 777 lasts quite awhile.
    Too bad you didn't like Diafine. TX is great in it.
    Perhaps a dev with glycin in it would fit the bill. Hubl paste from FDC comes to mind.
    And then there's the pyro soup that I'll look up tomorrow for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    XTOL, XTOL diluted, and XTOL replenished
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Hello,

I have an 8x10 Nova slot processor (each slot 1 liter) that I'd like to keep full of a working solution of B&W developer to process a few sheets a day of 4x5 B&W sheet film over Christmas vacation.

I have already HC 110, Rodinol and a couple of types of Ilford and Kodak powder developers (ID11, D76, Microdol-X).

Which of these (feel free to recommend other - although I tried Diafine once - not too keen on it) that will keep for a long time (3 weeks) in working strength and still be reliable?

Thanks in advance.
    Try reading through the "sticky" thread on Ansco 130: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...sco-130-a.html

Solution in a Developing tray is quite long and some have used it for film with good results.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    XTOL, XTOL diluted, and XTOL replenished
    ---------^

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin