Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,995   Online: 1159

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey Gerald,

The grain masks I've seen, and I've seen them in 35mm, 5x7 and 16x20, range from pretty good to some weird artifical worm-like pattern. But you're right, they can help.

Now reticulation is something I need to try.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Tri-X in Rodinal comes to mind. I believe this is what Salgado used and his pictures look like they were shot on sandpaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mark

this was taken with tmax 100 ( 4x5 film )
    about a year ago with a box camera ...

the developer is a mixture of coffee, washing soda, vit c and a small amount of ansco130 print developer
    i didn't agitate it for 30 mins ...
    if it was enlarged it would be as grainy as a 35mm frame
    but it is not large or magnified ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't like commercial grain masks then there is always the possibility of making your own.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    mark

this was taken with tmax 100 ( 4x5 film )
    about a year ago with a box camera ...

the developer is a mixture of coffee, washing soda, vit c and a small amount of ansco130 print developer
    i didn't agitate it for 30 mins ...
    if it was enlarged it would be as grainy as a 35mm frame
    but it is not large or magnified ...

Wow John! I better look into the film development cookbook I've heard about. I imagine there are formulae there for maximizing grain. Thanks to you and others for generously posting scans and info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Geoffrey Crawley formulated one of the FX series of developers to enhance grain effedts.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    If you don't like commercial grain masks then there is always the possibility of making your own.
    That's true Gerald. Have you had good luck doing this? I've seen grain negs for sandwiching in the carrier and full print size contact screens, which might be harder to make well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Follow Johns advice to get a coffee developer. Foma (or Efke which isn't really available now much) in Caffenol-C was nice and grainy for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Follow Johns advice to get a coffee developer. Foma (or Efke which isn't really available now much) in Caffenol-C was nice and grainy for me.
    Now that I think about it, this was the grainiest developer I've made:

40g/L Ascorbic Acid (12g/300ml) (not Ascorbate, amount in Ascorbate is higher)
    2g/L Potassium Bromide (0.6g/300ml)
    1.67g/L Benzotriazole (0.5g/300ml)

Add sodium carbonate until solution is neutralised.

Add sodium hydroxide until pH is 12

Use undiluted, process was about 6-10min at 24 celsius for most films iirc.

I should also mention its a high contrast developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    That's true Gerald. Have you had good luck doing this? I've seen grain negs for sandwiching in the carrier and full print size contact screens, which might be harder to make well.
    Grain masks work best with 35 mm negaqtives. With contact prints from LF negatives it would be hard to see any grain even if you were using a very grainy film. So the oeverall effect strikes me as rather false.

By making your own masks you are not limited to grain, for example you can use wood grain, a closeup of concrete or just about anything with a repetative pattern. I used a 35 mm mask generated from a very uniform sample of concrete and the print worked out very well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin