Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,866   Online: 789

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Wish list: production of a grainy film

Iím sure the economics of film production are complex and sales are down, but if a manufacturer were able to offer an old school really grainy film, I suspect it would be very popular. Film grain has mostly evolved to be smoother and smoother over the years, but many of us would absolutely love availability of just the opposite. I know itís possible to get somewhat more visible grain by using high speed films, enlarging small negatives, using condensers, etcÖ But Iím talking about very apparent obscenely coarse large grain without jumping through hoops to get it (especially with sheet film).

Iím just a dummy who points cameras at things and am sure Ilford has already thought of this. Iím just surprised no one has done it. Iíve heard more than once that film grain is unique and not well duplicated digitally, and thatís why some people use film, and why more people might start buying it!

Just part of my naÔve wish list. I know Iíd buy a boat load of it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah, I'll find and upload that image of Tri-X in Aculux 1+9 I did a little while back in 6x7, its quite grainy, but tightly packed grain.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could try something like 35mm Foma400, developed quickly in strong print developer. The EI would be extremely trial and error of course. When you have that pinned down, put your subject far away, with a wide lens, and enlarge like mad? You could then lith the result?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes me too

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fomapan 400 or Delta 3200 in Rodinal. As much as you could possibly want, even more if you run the Rodinal hotter (25C).

If you want even more than that, shoot a low-contrast scene and bump the contrast up through overdevelopment and/or printing at a higher grade; both will increase grain magnitude.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is 6x7cm, so imagine 35mm instead, I think this would look much better than many examples, as the grain is tight, not sparse with empty space between them.

Also, Tri-X @ 1600 in Rodinal 1+50 has a lot of grain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ohhhhh that is some lovely stuff. Why I still love Neopan 400 35mm in Pyrocat....get similar results when enlarged to about 11x14
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A local supermarket I visit is built on the site of an old livestock Market. They have picutures taken of this market - I guess fro the 1950s or 60s - blown up really huge and hung on the walls. The blow ups are maybe 5 feet by 3 feet- and the originals were probably 35mm or medium format. The grain is huge - but sharp as broken glass and just as irregular. So I know what MakL means, I think. Really old fashioned gritty grain... but rather than wish for a film that will probably never be made - best to search for a way of getting what you want from what we have. I would have said ADOX films were the best starting point, but now they are on the way out :-(
    Maybe a Chinese film steeped in hot print developer?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Delta 3200 developed warm goes nuts, and I love it.

This is full strength D76 for 18 minutes at 24C

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8230895612_d51c31d743_b.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	343.0 KB 
ID:	60511
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    Maybe a Chinese film steeped in hot print developer?
    Not hot print developer, but Rodinal 1+100, 90 minute semi stand iirc, Shanghai GP3 @ 800 (6x7cm)

Not quite that grainy (nor particularly fine)

Grain crop

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin