Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,145   Online: 872

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1:1 / 1:2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Appreciate the info. I guess I'm just paranoid that I'm pi$$ing away resources, because I'm really new at this. I've only printed (1) 8x10 so far, just due to not being 100% confident in my process yet. I'm making good progress, but there is this doubt in the back of my head, and of course, having a great looking image, that I would want an 11x14 or larger on the wall. I did however; print a couple of 5x7's that I liked enough to frame and mat them.

I've been ready as many of the threads here and in the enlarging forum to gain more insight as well.

It's all good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfiltz View Post
    Appreciate the info. I guess I'm just paranoid that I'm pi$$ing away resources, because I'm really new at this. I've only printed (1) 8x10 so far, just due to not being 100% confident in my process yet. I'm making good progress, but there is this doubt in the back of my head, and of course, having a great looking image, that I would want an 11x14 or larger on the wall. I did however; print a couple of 5x7's that I liked enough to frame and mat them.

I've been ready as many of the threads here and in the enlarging forum to gain more insight as well.

It's all good.
    All questions are good questions, because they usually teach somebody something.

Don't worry about wasting resources. As you've discovered from the excellent advice above, if you don't use up the concentrate, it will go bad, so please go ahead and use it in whatever way produces the best print. That's what matters most.

As you gain more experience you will be able to tell when your print developer starts to go off, and when it does you will discard what's left and mix fresh. Before you ask, there has been numerous discussions here on the forum, regarding dividing the powder components into smaller batches and mixing half of it, or less, at a time. The consensus seems to be that if you have to do it, try it, but if you expect 100% consistency from developer batch to developer batch, it's probably not advisable.

Good luck, and have lots of fun printing!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Thomas... It makes sense as to what everyone has mentioned now that I think about it. I'm finding this darkroom adventure, very addicting as well. Looking at prints, and thinking about how they might look differently, with a tweak here, and a tweak there...

Regards,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very good advice from others, with which I fully agree. Skimping on chemistry is rarely economical yet often very frustrating. On the other hand, depending where you live, you should consider reusing some of it, and minimise waste, within reason. What concerns me, is the disposal. In many parts of the world, it is ok to dispose into a public waste system, and one-shot use is easy to justify and enjoy. On the other hand, if you live with a septic tank, or if your local regulations are strict, you may need to minimise waste, or your hazardous waste disposal bills/trips will mount.

I reuse a long-lasting print developer (Ansco 130), indicator stop-bath (till it starts changing colour), and fixer (till test strips indicate it needs changing), HCA (based on a count of processed sheets), and Se toner (till it slows down a lot). I do not reuse film developer, I use it one-shot. I also use Silver Magnet to recover some silver from the fixer, before disposal.

Enjoy your darkroom, very much.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin