Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,540   Online: 1380

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Selenium Toning at greater than 1:10.......

........with Ilford MGIV FB. Does anyone do it and does it produce a greater density shift or shift in color? Thanks

Chuck

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm assuming you mean stronger dilution? I regularly tone MGIV FB at 1:9 for 6-8 minutes. It cools off to a very nice bluish purple tone and the shadows are increased by about 1/4 grade. I've never tried it at 1:5 or 1:3, but would be interested to hear results.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, Brian, I worded that poorly, I meant stronger dilution.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I usually use 1:7 and have about the same results as Brian. Nice deep blacks.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've gotten into the habit now of printing slightly soft on MGIV and slamming it in selenium as I mentioned above. Not only does this greatly protect the print (much more than 1:20, 1:40 dilutions for a minute or two) but it also takes the tone of the paper to a true neutral tone, slightly cool. Great stuff!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I went ahead and mixed up my last batch at 1:10---if I'd had more on-hand I would've experimented a bit, guess it'll have to wait til the next fresh bottle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do all of you use the Kodak rapid selenium toner? Or have you tried the Ilford / Harman version too?
    I've only gone as far as three minutes at about 1:5 dilution, and now I'm curious to see what happens at 6-8 minutes.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 12-03-2012 at 06:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thomas,
    I've always used Kodak's selenium toner, but just never stronger than a 10% solution. Are you printing on Ilford's MGIV FB, if so, how much of D-max increase do you perceive with it. Currently, at a 10% strength with MGIV FB, I'm not really having to account for the important shadows in printing, meaning, I can print them the way that I want, and after toning the shadows are strengthened with the detail in those shadows still satisfactory. I was wandering if going stronger on the selenium for more of a color shift, if I would then have to go easier on the shadows in printing and then rely on the Dmax increase in toning to get them where I wanted them to be originally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that the Harman selenium toning gives me shadows that are approximately 1/4 stop denser than untoned. That's using Ilford MGIV fiber. And I perceive a tiny color shift towards a hair more neutral black. I just haven't tried extending toning times to something like 6-8 minutes.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never tried KRST stronger than 1+9 with MGIV FB but now I'm curious. MGIV FB is fairly resistant to pronounced colour shifts compared to some other papers (Oriental VCFB for example), but I'm thinking a test is in order. I'd like to measure the reflection densities also to try to quantify the d-max increase.

My understanding is Harman Selenium is very similar to, if not virtually the same as KRST.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin