Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,111   Posts: 1,636,715   Online: 1206
      
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228

    Slightly pink hue?

    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Hypo - fixer
    Hypo clear - helps get rid of the fixer, less wash time needed
    Hypocheck - a drop in the fixer lets you know if it's time to dump it and make fresh.
    Gotcha, thanks! Photography terms seem to change as processes change yet old names still stick around and since I'm relatively new (in terms of the processing side) the old terms sometimes get confused.


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #32
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,563
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Hypo - fixer
    Hypo clear - helps get rid of the fixer, less wash time needed
    Hypocheck - a drop in the fixer lets you know if it's time to dump it and make fresh.
    And Hypo Eliminator - no longer used, and not the same as Hypo clear

    PS the name "Hypo" comes from an obsolete way of designating a certain type of chemical.

    What was once known as "hyposulfite of soda" is now, and more correctly, known as "sodium thiosulfate".
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,501
    Be careful to differentiate between a "regular" fixer (Sodium Thiosulfate - often referred to as Hypo), and Rapid Fixer (Ammonium Thiosulfate). Big difference in fixing time (both film and paper) and potentially procedures particularly for paper.

    StoneNYC - Ilford has some good publications to read on processing, which you can get off the website.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228

    Slightly pink hue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Be careful to differentiate between a "regular" fixer (Sodium Thiosulfate - often referred to as Hypo), and Rapid Fixer (Ammonium Thiosulfate). Big difference in fixing time (both film and paper) and potentially procedures particularly for paper.

    StoneNYC - Ilford has some good publications to read on processing, which you can get off the website.
    Thanks I've been working off my iPhone for the last few months, JUST got a new computer so now I can do more research and print stuff! (Normal paper stuff not photos)

    I use ilford rapid fixer at 5 minutes for everything B&W.

    Is there such a thing as OVER fixing?


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,501
    Regarding 5 minutes - this is fine for fresh Ilford Rapid Fixer. If you are reusing your fixer make sure to do the clearing tests to figure out if/when you need to extend time.

    Yes there is such a thing as overfixing. For film you don't have to really worry about an extra minute here and there but if you way overfix, the fixer will begin to bleach the developed silver in the negatives (you'll start to lose density - certainly you do not want this to happen to your shadows).

    For papers, it is really best to stick very close to the manufacturer's instructions (again - see Ilford publications) and follow them carefully. Not only do you want to avoid bleaching, but with fiber papers, fixing for longer than the recommended time can leads to longer wash times or other problems. Of course, underfixing is bad for all sorts of reasons.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228

    Slightly pink hue?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Regarding 5 minutes - this is fine for fresh Ilford Rapid Fixer. If you are reusing your fixer make sure to do the clearing tests to figure out if/when you need to extend time.

    Yes there is such a thing as overfixing. For film you don't have to really worry about an extra minute here and there but if you way overfix, the fixer will begin to bleach the developed silver in the negatives (you'll start to lose density - certainly you do not want this to happen to your shadows).

    For papers, it is really best to stick very close to the manufacturer's instructions (again - see Ilford publications) and follow them carefully. Not only do you want to avoid bleaching, but with fiber papers, fixing for longer than the recommended time can leads to longer wash times or other problems. Of course, underfixing is bad for all sorts of reasons.
    Gotcha, all good info!


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    454
    Dumb question: in a clip test, how do you see when the film turns clear? (or am I supposed to do this in a separate beaker outside the tank?)

  8. #38
    Rudeofus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,068
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    or am I supposed to do this in a separate beaker outside the tank?
    Yes. The clip test is not overly sensitive to ambient light and can be done in broad daylight.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin