Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,276   Online: 923

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Why folk try and save a nth of a penny on wetting agent is beyond me - kevs
    Actually, it never was because I was cheap, I mean frugal, more like lazy. Take out the Photoflo, the eye dropper, etc. each time. But, I will go back to that based on the risk of a biological catastrophe.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    when I open a bottle of wetting agent (Ilford stuff I think) I poke a hole in the sealed cover (after you remove the cap) and turn it into a drop dispenser. No mucking around with eye droppers or the like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went down to my local pharmacy and bought a bottle with an eyedropper cap that fit the Photo-Flo botttle exactly.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone here on APUG posted a wonderful suggestion, and I've followed it ever since.

I mix up an intermediate "stock" solution using 70% Isopropyl alcohol. I keep that in a 250ml bottle. I then dilute that stock solution 1 part stock to 20 parts water just before use. I mix it up in a 1 litre container and manually add the film to that container after taking the film off of the reel.

I only reuse the working solution during a single day or, in extraordinary circumstances, overnight.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    when I open a bottle of wetting agent (Ilford stuff I think) I poke a hole in the sealed cover (after you remove the cap) and turn it into a drop dispenser. No mucking around with eye droppers or the like.
    Thats a great idea.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Nige, what a simple, and an elegant idea. I just hope the seal never bursts when the bottle is upside-down. Now, I wonder if I have been using too much Ilfotol, as I've been following the instructions on the bottle. It usually works out as millilitres and not drops for me.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is this use of Photoflow problematic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    I use a drop or two in a lasagna dish for 4X5 negs on a one time only basis. I wouldn't use it in a plastic tank or stainless reels or anywhere developers or fixing baths are used, I don't think a container will ever be clean enough after Photoflow.

In another thread on Photoflows' use, Photo Engineer said if you use enough to cause a foam, you're using too much.
    Wait, it doesn't clean off of a tank? When I do my wash I just leave it in the Paterson tank and run it under the sink for 10 minutes, then at the end I drop a drop or two if wetting agent right into the Paterson tank and swish it around a bit before hanging it...

So, am I risking ruining my next batch of film? I've never seen any issues before...

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i use it once, then toss it.
    it only requires like a drop or 2 / tank
    a bottle last me about 25 years ..
    and i have feeling the last bottle i bought
    " photo flo 20,000" or something like that
    will outlast me. i am thinking of putting a
    request in my will to be buried with it, a twinkie and a bottle of yahoo ..
    They don't make twinkies anymore... Better stock up from eBay

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wait, it doesn't clean off of a tank? When I do my wash I just leave it in the Paterson tank and run it under the sink for 10 minutes, then at the end I drop a drop or two if wetting agent right into the Paterson tank and swish it around a bit before hanging it...

So, am I risking ruining my next batch of film? I've never seen any issues before...
    The tensides that make up the wetting agent are extremely difficult to wash away from the tank and spools after they have been exposed to it. Almost impossible.
    But whether it will ruin your next batch or not is hard to say. Only you can tell. But you do run the risk of having a lot of bubbles develop when you agitate the tank, which have the potential to stick to the film surface, especially where the film touches the reels. Sometimes you see pictures with strange looking bubbles along the edge of the prints, usually 120 film (because its rebate is really narrow), due to these bubbles.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Is this use of Photoflow problematic?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The tensides that make up the wetting agent are extremely difficult to wash away from the tank and spools after they have been exposed to it. Almost impossible.
    But whether it will ruin your next batch or not is hard to say. Only you can tell. But you do run the risk of having a lot of bubbles develop when you agitate the tank, which have the potential to stick to the film surface, especially where the film touches the reels. Sometimes you see pictures with strange looking bubbles along the edge of the prints, usually 120 film (because its rebate is really narrow), due to these bubbles.
    Good to know, I won't buy new reels/tank but I'll stop doing it that way and find a safer setup.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Good to know, I won't buy new reels/tank but I'll stop doing it that way and find a safer setup.

~Stone
    Have you had problems? If not, then perhaps it's all right to continue. Lots of people do what you do.

My method is to use the wetting agent outside the tank, and I take the film off the reels before it gets treated with the wetting agent.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin