Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,594   Online: 828

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    StoneNYC,

I think Tom Bertilsson has answered that question as well as I could. For my purposes I don't like the idea of possibly adding something to the developer that wasn't intended. I think of FotoFlo as a slime and once in contact will never really go away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a good question for PE or Gerald Koch. I've never had any problems getting it off my stainless steel tanks/reels (at least I don't think I have), although I clean it all quite thoroughly afterward.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Is this use of Photoflow problematic?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Have you had problems? If not, then perhaps it's all right to continue. Lots of people do what you do.

My method is to use the wetting agent outside the tank, and I take the film off the reels before it gets treated with the wetting agent.

- Thomas
    I'll just do that from now on, I don't really have a problem adjusting for safety, better safe than sorry...

Though I have really good cleaning habits when it comes to my equipment where others don't, I've seen some processing tanks and bottles and measures that look like they went through a fire all tarnished and ugly, now I can't say I've had my equipment for YEARS but I also can say I've done enough to know I'm much more thorough with cleaning than some others. That may have helped prevent any carry over from the wetting agent, but I don't want to risk it from now on I'll use a separate tank.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The tensides that make up the wetting agent are extremely difficult to wash away from the tank and spools after they have been exposed to it. Almost impossible.
    But whether it will ruin your next batch or not is hard to say. Only you can tell. But you do run the risk of having a lot of bubbles develop when you agitate the tank, which have the potential to stick to the film surface, especially where the film touches the reels. Sometimes you see pictures with strange looking bubbles along the edge of the prints, usually 120 film (because its rebate is really narrow), due to these bubbles.
    Thank you for the warning, Thomas, I was not aware of this risk. I have not noticed any issues, yet, but I will pay attention, as I like to agitate quite vigorously, and I have seen that the liquids in my tank can bubble up as a result.

Do you know if this unwashability issue is specific to Kodak PhotoFlo, or all wetting agents, including Ilfotol, which I have used for over a decade? Are there any other symptoms to look out for?
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I use Edwal LFN. I put 1 or 3 drops per pint of water then toss it after a film processing session.
    that's the way to do it!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Do you know if this unwashability issue is specific to Kodak PhotoFlo, or all wetting agents, including Ilfotol, which I have used for over a decade? Are there any other symptoms to look out for?
    I don't know the answers to your questions, I'm afraid. If your method works, then nothing's broken that needs fixing.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know the answers to your questions, I'm afraid. If your method works, then nothing's broken that needs fixing.
    Thank you, Thomas, either way. I'll be on the lookout, I appreciate you sharing your experience.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photo Flo seems like the problem child of wetting agents. I've used Photo Flo, Sprint End Run, Sistan and LFN and have only ever had trouble with Photo Flo...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sepiareverb, what was the nature of the issues you had with PhotoFlo that others didn't cause? By the way, I thought Sistan was not a wetting agent, but an anti-silvering protective solution (potassium thiocyanate I think), but I have no experience of it. Got a bottle, though...

PS. MSDS lists Potassium thiocyanate as 15-20% and Polyoxyethylated Octyl Phenol as 5-10%.
    Last edited by Rafal Lukawiecki; 12-04-2012 at 05:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And I have never had a problem with PhotoFlo but then I only have 50 years of experience with it.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin